[General] I'll try my best to reply to you in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A man wants to speak English with me, espeically during the weekends. I'm very busy because I have some students to teach. I then asked him to leave me voice messages (like voice mails) and I'll reply to him once I have got the time. I said to him "I'll try my best to reply to your messages in time; just leave me any".

Is the italic sentence natural?

I'll try my best to reply to your messages in good time

I don't get what the second part is trying to say.

Silver, how about: "Leave me a message and I'll try my best to reply in a timely manner."

Leave me a message and I'll reply when I have the time.

Leave me a message and I'll reply as soon as I can.

"I'll try my best to reply to your messages in time; just leave me any".

The underlined word is incorrect.

Just so you know—the first bit is completely fine but the bold bit is completely wrong.

Just so you know—the first bit is completely fine but the bold bit is completely wrong.

Re the "bold bit". Maybe not "natural" but in casual, informal conversation/exchange I would not consider it "wrong" and, I would completely understand.

I have no idea what "just leave me any" means.

Also, in the first part, I don't like the use of "in time". That suggests that there is a specific deadline for your response.

Much appreciated, every teacher.

I said "Leave me any" when I wanted to express "feel free to leave me any messages as you want". Yes, I also think "in time" is a bit redundant. I'll try to reply those messages means "Once I have time, I'll reply".

Again, much appreciated!

"In time" to mean "at some point in the future" is rather outdated and it usually refers to a much longer time period than (I hope) you're suggesting. Here's a suitably outdated example for you:

The lowly farm girl was forced to marry the nasty king. She hated him and she hated her life, stuck in the castle. In time, though, she grew to love him.

In that example, "In time" means, probably, "over the course of a number of years". I certainly hope you're not going to wait that long to reply to messages.

I have no idea what "just leave me any" means.

Also, in the first part, I don't like the use of "in time". That suggests that there is a specific deadline for your response.

The "any" refers to "messages" and would be understood in an immediate, casual follow-up response to the "man".

Last edited by a moderator:
Not by this native speaker of BrE.

Nor by this speaker of American English. As someone familiar with errors made by learners, I could easily guess the intended meaning. Others would quite likely be at a loss.

The "any" refers to "messages" and would be understood in an immediate, casual follow-up response to the "man".

Hi Yankee. I've noticed from your responses over the years that you think of mere intelligibility as a sufficient condition for permitting a certain form of expression.

Most of us on the forum here generally like to reach far past that and make suggestions of how to say something in the most clear and natural way. Most students don't just want to be understood.

Re the "bold bit". Maybe not "natural" but in casual, informal conversation/exchange I would not consider it "wrong" and, I would completely understand.
I agree that it's understandable. It can be sorted out, even though it's a little confusing. But it's not at all natural.

The suggestions above for ways to rephrase it are all much more natural and coherent. (And I think Sliver understands why.)

Much appreciated, every teacher.

I said "Leave me any" when I wanted to express "feel free to leave me any messages as you want". Yes, I also think "in time" is a bit redundant. I'll try to reply those messages means "Once I have time, I'll reply".

Again, much appreciated!
Yes. As you can see, "leave me any" is a bit confusing to most of us. It's worth avoiding!

Regarding the unnaturalness or ungrammaticality of "any" there, "any" is generally used in questions or in negative contexts. If we made the second independent clause negative (and added the word "more," which the context would require in a negative variant of the example), the ellipsis would be clear:

I'll try my best to reply to your messages in time; don't leave me any more.

Here is a similar example, which does not require the addition of "more":

I'll try my best to reply to your messages in time. I wish, however, that you hadn't left me any. :)

The bold part is completely wrong, as others have pointed out. Maybe it's natural in some dialects, but even in a informal situation...no-one would use that; definitely not in dear old Blighty.
'In good time' is nice to use. It's a little dated now, but is still valid and just means 'When I can', really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back