I'll have it upstairs for you by the time you get up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

it-is-niaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
A: Good morning! You folks checking in?
B: Yes. Wells.
A: Of course. Carlton Wells. We have been expecting you! I'll take care of your luggage. You guys check in. I'll have it upstairs for you by the time you get up there.
B:Oh! That is the spirit. Cheers.

Move: Merry Kissmas

What does "Have something somewhere" mean?
What does "get up" mean here? I couldn't find in any dictionaries any meaning related to the context.

I'll have it/your luggage upstairs for you = I'll make sure your luggage is upstairs

By the time you get up there = ​before you arrive upstairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you please give me a reference in a dictionary?
I don't want just to memories it. I want to be able to use them in the future.
I meant why he used "have" instead of "take"? Or why did he used "get up"?
Thank you.

Could you please give me a reference in a dictionary?
I don't want just to [STRIKE]memories[/STRIKE] memorise [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them. I want to be able to use them in the future.
I [STRIKE]meant[/STRIKE] want to understand why he used "have" instead of "take", [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] and why [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] he used "get up".

You can't find every possible example of English usage in a dictionary. When you're asking about whole phrases, such as "to have something done", it's much better to understand them and learn some example sentences to help with future usage.

I meant why he used "have" instead of "take"?

Because the receptionist won't take the bags upstairs, but will arrange for someone to do it.

When you're asking about whole phrases, such as "to have something done", it's much better to understand them and learn some example sentences to help with future usage.
Thank you Emsr2d2. That's exactly what the problem is. In the original sentence, we didn't have "to have something done". Instead we have "t have something somewhere".
That's why I asked about a reference as I'm familiar with causative structure, but this one was different.

Can we say "taken" is implied?

I'll have it taken upstairs!

I would say no to that. The phrase is quite natural without "taken".

It's possible to use "have it/them + adjective" in lots of situations. There's no need to think about there being an implied verb.

I'll have it ready for you in ten minutes.
He's found the bag in the attic - he'll have it down shortly.
She got the Christmas decorations out of the box earlier - she'll have them all up by the end of the day.

What does "get up" mean here?
The phrasing is "get [up there]" = get [up to your room].
"Get home, get to school, get to work", etc.
"by the time you get up there."

It works here, but there are many examples where you will need the past participle. In this case it works with and without taken, but I think this is not a common case.

Thank you so much. Does the definition #4 in the link below related to this usage of get up in the context?
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/get

It relates to 'get', as your source indicates. As I said, 'get up' is not the phrase. And "up there" is the place you move to/from (as in your link).
The definition #4: "get up: Half the audience got up and walked out." is a use of the phrase "get up". Your original is not - it is a use of 'get' to a place, and the place is "up there". They are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back