Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Context: The students were given a list of questions to asnwer at home as their homework. In the next lesson, the teacher asks the students the same questions. One student can't answer any of the questions asked, even though they claim to have done their homework.

"If you've done your homework, you should know how to answer this question."

Have I made any mistakes in the sentence above?

No mistakes.

Context: The students were given a list of questions to [STRIKE]asnwer[/STRIKE] answer [STRIKE]at home[/STRIKE] as their homework. In the next lesson, the teacher [STRIKE]asks[/STRIKE] asked the students the same questions. One student [STRIKE]can't[/STRIKE] couldn't answer any of the questions [STRIKE]asked[/STRIKE], even though they claimed to have done their homework.

"If you've done your homework, you should know [STRIKE]how to[/STRIKE] the answer [to this question]."

Have I made any mistakes in the sentences above?

See above.

You started with the simple past so I have changed the rest to agree. If you want to keep the present tense, open with "The students are given ...". I'm not saying you can't mix tenses in a paragraph, or even in a single sentence, but I don't think that works here.

How about If you had done?

I'd use "If you had done" with "you would know".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back