Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If you will/must eat so much, it's not surprising you feel ill.

Do both modals (expressing insistence) work as well for the sentence? Thank you in advance.

If you will/must eat so much, it's not surprising you feel ill.

Do both modals (expressing insistence) work as well for the sentence? Thank you in advance.
Yes, they both work.

Hi
Sorry if it's a conditional sentence type one or maybe type zero, how is it possible to have modals in the first part (the main clause)?
I think there's something wrong with the use of modals in the first part. It's better to say If you keep eating so much,not surprisingly you'll feel ill.

Hi
Sorry if it's a conditional sentence type one or maybe type zero, how is it possible to have modals in the first part (the main clause)?
I think there's something wrong with the use of modals in the first part. It's better to say If you keep eating so much,not surprisingly you'll feel ill.
Well, it is possible, and it's not better to say, "If you keep on eating so much ..."
The modals here have an intensifying function, as in "If you insist on eating
so much, it's not surprising you feel ill."There is a stress on the modal. "If you will/must eat so much ..."

A: I feel sick.
B: Well, you will eat so much!
Note that this 'will' has nothing to do with the future.

Hi

You are assuming that we are dealing here with a will-future. If that is the meaning, you are right - If you keep eating... or If you go on eating... would express the idea (that continuance of eating habits is a bad idea).

But this is not a will-future. 'If you will + <verb>' embodies a fossilized meaning of the verb 'will', still apparent in the noun 'will' - that has more to do with wilfulness / being 'strong-willed'. The emphasis on will underlines this. 'If you will + <verb>' implies 'You know this is bad for you. This sort of headstrong behaviour will only lead to some kind of trouble.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back