Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If you have a legitimate problem during the exam, raise your hand and talk quietly to the invigilator.

I was wondering if it is incorrect to use "in" to replace "during" in the above sentence. Does "you" refer to all candidates? If the answer is "yes", is it possible to use "hands" in the above sentence?

Thanks.

If you have a legitimate problem during the exam, raise your hand and talk quietly to the invigilator.

I was wondering if it is incorrect to use "in" to replace "during" in the above sentence. Does "you" refer to all candidates? If the answer is "yes", is it possible to use "hands" in the above sentence?

Thanks.

Even though "in" wouldn't be completely wrong, "during" is the most natural word. "You" does refer to all candidates. However, if it said "hands", it would mean that in order to attract the attention of the invigilator, each person has to raise both their hands. That would not make sense.

Invigilator is a totally new word for me. In the US, we call this person the proctor.

Invigilator is a totally new word for me. In the US, we call this person the proctor.

It's the standard word in BrE for the person who oversees a room full of people taking an exam. What they do is "to invigilate".

Even though "in" wouldn't be completely wrong, "during" is the most natural word. "You" does refer to all candidates. However, if it said "hands", it would mean that in order to attract the attention of the invigilator, each person has to raise both their hands. That would not make sense.

Does "During the exam" means from the beginning to the end of the exam wheras "in" does not have the same meaning?

Last edited:
Does "During the exam" means from the beginning to the end of the exam wheras "in" does not have the same meaning?

Could anyone help, please?

No. They both have roughly the same meaning but, as ems has already said, "Even though "in" wouldn't be completely wrong, "during" is the most natural word".

"Problems in the exam" could mean "problems with the exam". That doesn't cover problems like the need for a toilet break, or the onset of a severe migraine, which are potential "problems during the exam".

It's the standard word in BrE for the person who oversees a room full of people taking an exam. What they do is "to invigilate".

If an invigilator invigilates, does a proctor proct?

If an invigilator invigilates, does a proctor proct?
Possibly, but I think a proctor would proctor, just as a doctor doctors.

That would be quite distracting in the middle of your Art History exam!

In an Art History exam it might be a welcome distraction. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back