If there's anything we hate more than vs one thing we hate most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I've been asked to send a short video by a fitness page regarding the lock-down. I want to say the following but cannot decide which one to go with:

- "If there's anything we fitness freaks hate more than being stuck at home, it's not being able to lift."

- "If there's one thing we fitness freaks hate the most, it's not being able to lift."

I know that the first one is comparing 2 things and saying that not being able to lift is worse than being stuck at home. And the second one is just talking about what gym goers hate the most and not comparing it to any specific thing.

I just want to know if both of them are correct and natural English?

The first works well. The second doesn't. You can only hate one thing "the most", so what are you comparing that to?

If you want to use "the most", you can write "The one thing we fitness freaks hate the most is not being able to lift."

I don't think the first one makes a lot of sense because it's precisely the being stuck at home that means that you can't lift, as you're unable to go to the gym. The comparison makes no sense.

The second one is incorrect, as GoesStation has pointed out. In addition to his corrected suggestion, I'll offer an alternative:

If there's one thing we fitness freaks really hate, it's not being able to lift.

"If there's anything we fitness freaks hate more than being stuck at home, it's not being able to lift."

I don't think the first one makes a lot of sense because it's precisely the being stuck at home that means that you can't lift, as you're unable to go to the gym. The comparison makes no sense.
it works for me. What are two things fitness freaks hate? 1) Being stuck at home. 2) Not being able to lift. Lots of things other than being stuck at home — the injuries they frequently inflict on themselves, for example — can make them unable to lift.

it works for me. What are two things fitness freaks hate? 1) Being stuck at home. 2) Not being able to lift. Lots of things other than being stuck at home — the injuries they frequently inflict on themselves, for example — can make them unable to lift.

Do you see my point in post #3, though?

Being stuck at home and not being able to lift are not two different things—they're the same thing. The latter is a consequence of the former. Being stuck at home means not being able to lift. That's how I read it, anyway—we're talking about the consequences of the lock-down, and what it means for fitness freaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you see my point in post #3, though?

Being stuck at home and not being able to lift are not two different things—they're the same thing. The latter is a consequence of the former. Being stuck at home means not being able to lift. That's how I read it, anyway—we're talking about the consequences of the lock-down, and what it means for fitness freaks.
Your point makes sense, but I think it's wrong. The sentence immediately made me think of a frustrated weight-lifter nursing his third torn hamstring of the year. The lockdown reminded him how much he hates being separated from his favorite activity.

(Are weight-lifters prone to torn hamstrings? I have no idea.)

So the second one is wrong no ifs ands, or buts.

And for, "If there's anything we fitness freaks hate more than being stuck at home, it's not being able to lift"- this one's wrong because the things I compared cannot be compared because, not being able to lift is a consequence of being stuck at home, they aren't two different things. But how does the following sentence sound: "If there's anything we fitness freaks hate more than looking small, it's looking fat."

Yes, the second one is wrong.

Your latest sentence is fine.

Perhaps:

If there's anything we fitness freaks hate more than being stuck at home it's not being able to work out.

(I do have a couple of weights. So I can do some lifting.)

Try:

I've been asked to make a short video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back