[Grammar] If the ozone layer is destroyed, most living things on the earth will disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Good evening teachers! Could you please help me with those sentences:

1) If the ozone layer is destroyed, most living things on the earth will disappear.
2) If the ozone layer were destroyed, most living things on the earth would disappear.

I personally think that two of them are correct. Because the conditional 1 prefers to something that may happen in the future, it is correct. It is correct or incorrect in the second sentence because it is unreal at present but in the future, it will probably take place. Which one is correct or two of them?

I personally think that [STRIKE]two[/STRIKE] both of them are correct. Because the conditional 1 prefers to something that may happen in the future, it is correct. It is correct or incorrect in the second sentence because it is unreal at present but in the future, it will probably take place. Which one is correct or [STRIKE]two of them[/STRIKE] are they both?
/

It is correct or incorrect in the second sentence because it is unreal at present but in the future, it will probably take place. Which one is correct or two of them?

The second sentence refers to an imaginary present -it isn't true- or an unlikely future. If you want to say that something will probably take place, use the first conditional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back