Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
France
In the sentence I came across on Basic Math & Pre-Algebra All-in-One For Dummies by Mark Zegarelli,

"I say this speaking as a guy who has struggled with math as much as, if not more than, you have.",

what does mean "if not more than"?

Some say the author might have struggled more than readers, and others he might have less struggled than them.

Would you please explain?

Thank you.

In the sentence I came across the following sentence on in Basic Math & Pre-Algebra All-in-One For Dummies by Mark Zegarelli:

"I say this speaking as a guy who has struggled with math as much as, if not more than, you have."

What does mean "if not more than" mean?

Some say the author might have struggled more than the readers, and others say he might have less struggled less than them. Would you please explain?

Thank you. Don't thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.
Please note my improvements to the layout, comment, and corrections above.

What did you mean by "Some say the author ..."? Who are these "some [people]"?

"I say this speaking as a guy who has struggled with math as much as, if not more than, you have.",

What is the grammatical construction of the "this speaking" part?

I say this speaking as a guy who has struggled with math

Is it okay to move the red part before the blue part?

Speaking as a guy who has struggled with math, I say this.

No. The blue part comes first.

I say this speaking as a guy who has struggled with math

What is the reason the sentence "Speaking as a guy who has struggled with math, I say this" is not natural?

The phrase 'I say this' comes at the beginning of a structure that you could formulate like this:

I say this + as + someone + who ...

I say this as a woman who has experienced similar challenges in the past.
I say this as someone who has worked in this industry for over 20 years.
I say this as a citizen who cares deeply about the environment.

In the original context, the word speaking is not necessary.

I think it is okay if the sentence is followed by what is to be said:

As a guy who has struggled with math as much as, if not more than you have, I say .... (whatever is to be said).

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back