Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

When someone wants to express his opinion about something, can they say something like this?

If I were to talk about some of the benefits of tourism, I'd say that it creates job opportunities. Also, it puts a place on the map.

Also, can it be used in writing?

If I were to mention some of the benefits of tourism, I'd point out that it creates job opportunities. Also, it puts a place on the map.

I find neither If I were to talk about nor If I were to mention very natural in expressing an opinion. If I were asked about works better for me.

Is there a similar sentence which is natural? I can't use "if I were asked about".

Why can't you?

Because I want to use it in the TOEFL exam. They ask you a question and if you say that, it doesn't help you.

Because I want to use it in the TOEFL exam. They ask you a question and if you say that, it doesn't help you.

Why not? What makes you think you can't start your response with "If I were asked about"? If their question was "What would you say about tourism, if you were asked about it?", starting with "If I were asked about it ..." shows that you understood the question correctly, and that you are able to repeat it (changing "you" to "I", of course) without an error.

Why not? What makes you think you can't start your response with "If I were asked about"? If their question was "What would you say about tourism, if you were asked about it?", starting with "If I were asked about it ..." shows that you understood the question correctly, and that you are able to repeat it (changing "you" to "I", of course) without an error.

What about writing?

I googled "if I were to talk about" and many results came up:

https://www.google.com/search?q="If...a6lAIMQ8tMDegQICxA8&biw=1088&bih=492&dpr=1.76

There is nothing grammatically wrong with "If I were to talk about ...". It's just that it suggests that you're just going to randomly start talking about something and giving your opinion on it. People usually express their opinion after they are asked about a topic.

I see nothing hypothetical about it to warrant using "if I were to". You are asked a specific question and you talk about/discuss it giving your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back