Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
5.I'd hate to be a model.
Is it I would hate?
What's the difference between I'd hate and I hate?

6. All you do is stand around for ages.
Shouldn't it be standing, since it is behind the word is?
Can it be "All you do is standing around for ages."?
What's the difference?

14.jpeg

I'd hate to be a model - I would hate to be a model.

I suppose people do say it that way, but I would say: "I would hate being a model."

If you say "I hate being a model" it means you are one, and you dislike it intensely.

I'd hate to be a model - I would hate to be a model.

I suppose people do say it that way, but I would say: "I would hate being a model."
In BrE at least, "I'd hate to be" is much more common and natural than "I'd hate being".

In BrE at least, "I'd hate to be" is much more common and natural than "I'd hate being".
Then why is would, past tense?

Although the past tense of will is would, in this case would is not in the past tense. It indicates conditionality: if I was a model I would dislike the work.

It is still the form of the so-called 'past' tense. I prefer to think of it as a 'distancing' tense; it can distance in time, directness or reality. In this sentence it is distancing in reality.

The person probably doesn't hold any hopes of being given the chance to be a model.

It is still the form of the so-called 'past' tense. I prefer to think of it as a 'distancing' tense; it can distance in time, directness or reality. In this sentence it is distancing in reality.
So something like "subjunctive mood", right?

I'm no grammarian, but yes, I think the mood is subjunctive.

It's a way of saying "If I were a model, I would hate it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back