I'd be obliged if you'd treat this matter as strictly confidential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Below is an example from Longman dictionary.

I'd be obliged if you'd treat this matter as strictly confidential.

When hearing to the pronunciation of the whole sentence, I heard the dictionary pronounce it as :

I be obliged if you treat this matter as strictly confidential.

There is no any "'d" in the pronunciation.
The question is, how do I know the sentence has "'d" if the speaker doesn't pronounce it out?

Please help, thanks.

Please post a link to the entry so that we can judge for ourselves.

It's from the Longman dictionary on my Android phone, not from the website, it is unable to provide a link for it.

Let me try to record it as a file and upload to this post. But it seems only images are allowed for uploading?

Last edited:
Do you notice the extra stress or focus on the "b" sound in "I'd be?" It's just that little bit longer than "I be."

I think the "d" is there.

I can hear it too. It's less clear than it would be if it preceded a vowel but it's there.

It certainly should be there. I was just pointing out another feature to look for in case it wasn't clear/audible.

Is the pronunciation of "I'd" different with "I", or just the same?

I can hear the difference between "I've" and "I have", but I can't distinguish the pronunciation between "I'd" and "I".
Please help.

You need to consider the grammar too. Of course, sometimes people make mistakes when they're speaking but if you use common sense, you would realise that "I'd" makes it a grammatically correct sentence and "I" doesn't.

I could barely hear it, but it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back