Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy, second edition.

Additional exersises.
Ex. 19, page 294.

6. Aren't they ready yet? I wish .... (they/hurry up).
My answer: I wish they hurried up.
Key: they'd hurry up / they would hurry up.

12. (in a car) You're driving too fast. I wish you ... a bit (you / slow down).
My answer: you slowed down a bit.
Key: you'd slow down / you would slow down.

14. You're always tired. I wish ... to bed so late (you / not / go).
My answer: you didn't go to bed so late.
Key: you wouldn't go / you didn't go.

I admit that I absolutely forgot this construction " I wish you would do".
But I suppose, it is colloquial.

Could you comment:
1. Were my answers correct?
2. Can I neglect this colloquial construction and just use the construction "I wish you did"?

My task now it just to learn how to get the message across. Subtle nuances of the language are not important for me.
Especially if what I remember works more or less well. As in this case. If my answers are correct, of course.

1. No.
2. No.

If by "colloquial" you mean standard, everyday English then yes, it's colloquial. You have to learn standard English if you want to be understood.

I wish you did has the idea that the person addressed does not do this thing. The past/simple/marked tenses of did distances the action in reality. The person addresed does not do this. Did is not appropriate in (6) and (12), though it is possible in (14).

I wish you would do can have the idea that the person will not do this thing in the future.. The past/simple/marked tense of would distances the action in reality. The person addressed will probably not do this. Would is therefore appropriate in (6) and (12).

I wish you would do can also have the idea that the person stubbornly. The past/simple/marked tense of would distances the action in reality. The person addressed will probably not do this. Would is therefor possible in (14).

. . . .

I wish you would do can also have the idea that the person stubbornly . . . .
. . . refuses or fails to do something.

14. You're always tired. I wish ... to bed so late (you / not / go).
My answer: you didn't go to bed so late.
Key: you wouldn't go / you didn't go.
The past/simple/marked tense of would distances the action in reality. The person addressed will probably not do this. Would is therefor[e] possible in (14).

I like all of 5jj's explanations in post #3. I just wanted to clarify that, in I wish you wouldn't go to bed so late, what "[t]he person addressed will probably not do" is not go to bed so late. The idea is a double negative: he will probably [not [not go to bed so late]]. Thus, he probably will continue to go to bed so late.

When the wished-for proposition is negative—that is, when we wish that somebody wouldn't or didn't do something, or that something wouldn't or didn't happen—the implication is that the person will probably or does do that thing, or that that something will probably or does happen. For example, 5jj could say:

I wish Phaedrus wouldn't complicate things.

There the implication is that Phaedrus does have a tendency and a disposition/intention to complicate things. I wish Phaedrus didn't complicate things, by contrast, would simply imply that Phaedrus has a tendency to complicate things, even if it is entirely unintentional.

If the wish were completely future-directed and were to have no implication as to the existence of a present tendency or disposition, a different verb would be needed, in my opinion. Wish is not fit for that job. We need hope:

I hope Phaedrus doesn't/won't complicate things.

I wish English were easier to learn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back