Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We say "I wish something(anything xyz) would happen or change". If we want to change a current situation or condition that is unlikely to change for example "if it is raining and I want it to stop so I would say 'I wish it would stop raining'" regardless of the fact that it can't happen. Am I correct?

But what do we say when we are depicting an incident for example in the movie home alone Kevin says "I wish my family would disappear"? what do we need to say if we are telling this to someone else like "hey yesterday I watched home alone in which a kid named kevin said that 'he wished his family would disappear' or 'kevin wished his family would disappear' or 'Kevin wished his family disappear'?

Could you please help me with this?

The first one is fine except for problems with capitalization.

what do we need to say if we are telling this to someone else like "Hey yesterday I watched home alone in which a kid named kevin said that 'he wished his family would disappear' or 'kevin wished his family would disappear' or 'Kevin wished his family disappear'?

Is it fine now. Sorry Tarheel. I had forgotten if I am writing a complete sentence then the first letter needs to be capitalised. I have corrected it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! Yesterday I watched "Home Alone" in which this kid named Kevin said he wished his family would disappear.

Hey! Yesterday I watched "Home Alone" in which this kid named Kevin said he wished his family would disappear.
Can I say "I watched Home Alone in which Kevin wished that his family would disappear"?

That's not the same thing. However, you could say it if you want to. However, you should be prepared for people to ask who Kevin is.

Can I say "I watched Home Alone in which Kevin wished that his family would disappear"?
Did you not notice Tarheel's use of quotation marks?

@tufguy seems to have forgotten all about capitalization and a few other things. 🫤

We say "I wish something space here (anything) xyz) would happen/change". or change".
Always put a space before an opening bracket.
Note the correct use of a / mark instead of the word "or". The way you put it means that you think we would utter the complete sentence "I wish something would happen or change". We wouldn't. You're trying to show that we would say "I wish something would happen" or we would say "I wish something would change".
If we want to change a current situation or condition that is unlikely to change (for example, no quotation marks here if it is raining and I want it to stop), so I would say "I wish it would stop raining" regardless of the fact that it can't happen. Am I correct?
Note my various changes to your punctuation above.
What do you mean by "it can't happen"? Of course it can happen - it can stop raining. If it couldn't stop raining, it would always be raining. I think you mean that it won't stop raining just because you say "I wish it would stop raining".
But What do we say when we are depicting an incident describing a situation? For example, in the movie "Home Alone", Kevin says "I wish my family would disappear". What do we need to say if we are telling this to someone else? like Would we say "Hey, yesterday I watched "Home Alone", in which a kid named Kevin said that 'he wished his family would disappear', or 'Kevin wished his family would disappear' or 'Kevin wished his family disappear'?
Note my corrections above.
If I were relating that scene to someone else, I would say "Kevin said he wished his family would disappear".
"Kevin wished his family disappear" is ungrammatical.
Could you please help me with this?
I fear you're trying to construct sentences that are too complicated for you again. You're also making really basic mistakes over and over again. I don't understand why it's so difficult for you to remember to capitalise titles and people's names, or to remember to put titles either in quotation marks or italics.
Your quotation marks for speech are frequently in the wrong place too. Make sure you put them around just the words you think someone might say.

What other things?
Well, it's already been pointed out, but I was thinking about doing things like putting movie titles in quotes. (Admittedly, you wouldn't have to do that in speech, but this isn't speech.) If I were you I would make a list of the things I need to work on. Then I would decide what I need to work on the most and start with that.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back