I will want to read that book in the future.

dwni1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
UK
Can I use want in a future tense?
For instance,
1 I decide to read a book in the future.
2 I am determined to read a book in the future.
3 I want somebody else to read a book in the future.
Can I say
1 I will want to read that book in the future.
2 I am going to want to read that book in the future.
1 I will want my friend to read that book in the future.
2 I am going to want my friend to read that book in the future.

Yes, if you're talking about a future desire, you can say 'will want' or 'going to want'.

I don't want a cigarette right now, but I know I will want one in an hour from now.

Does it mean that I can use ‘will’ and ‘be going to’ with ‘want to do something’ and ‘want somebody to do something’

I don't want to eat anything right now, but I know I will want to later (at some indefinite time in the future).

You forgot this -----> ?

Does it mean that I can use ‘will’ and ‘be going to’ with ‘want to do something’ and ‘want somebody to do something’
Always give us complete sentences to consider.

Can I use "want" in a sentence about the future? tense?
For instance,
Technically, we don't have a future "tense" in English.
Let's say that I decide to read a book in the future, I am determined to read that book in the future and I want somebody else to read that book in the future.
It was very confusing to lay this idea out as three separate sentences as you did in post #1.
Can I say the following?
1. I will want to read that book in the future.
2. I am going to want to read that book in the future.
3. I will want my friend to read that book in the future.
4. I am going to want my friend to read that book in the future.
Note my changes above. All four sentences are grammatically correct (as you were told in post #2).
Does it mean that I can use ‘will’ and ‘be going to’ with ‘want to do something’ and ‘want somebody to do something’?
As you were told in post #2, they sentences you gave us in post #1 are all correct.
I mean the examples I have gave in my first post.
Note my corrections above.

We wouldn't use "future" so much. That's for sure!

Any plans you have are for the future. It's not really necessary to say that even once. If I want to do something I want to do it at some point in the future. It might be at a specific time, or it might be at a nonspecific time.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back