Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Would you correct my mistakes please?

I couldn’t write a new short story for a week because I had to pack some stuff at home. Maybe in three or four weeks I will move to a new house. It is very difficult to pack stuff at home because some stuff is small or big and some stuff is made in glass. I also have a lot of books. I’ve been packing stuff at home for a week. So I’m too tired and a little sick.

Meanwhile, you know we’re in the winter. And the weather is very cold in İzmir these days. So It’s more difficult to move in the winter.

My friends will help me to move. It’s very important to have friendly friends. So I always feel myself luckly.

Last edited:
Try:

I've been packing stuff to get ready to move.

And:

My friends will be helping me move.

Why is it harder to move in the winter?

Try:

I've been packing stuff to get ready to move.

And:

My friends will be helping me move.

First of all, thank you for your corrections.

I have a question. You wrote : “My friends will be helping me move.”
But the word ‘move’ is a verb but I have to use ‘infinitive’ here. So, “My friends will be helping me to move.” Did you forget to write/type ‘to’ before the word ‘move’?

I’ll try to explain tomorrow why it’s harder to move in winter. (Thank you for this question and helping me)

First of all, thank you for your corrections.

I have a question. You wrote no colon here “My friends will be helping me move.”
But However, the word ‘move’ is a verb but I have to use the no quote mark here infinitive no quote mark here here. So, Therefore, I should write “My friends will be helping me to move.” Did you forget to write/type ‘to’ before the word ‘move’?
Tarheel did not forget to write anything. After "help", we use either the bare infinitive (in this case "move") or the full infinitive (in this case "to move"). The most natural way of saying it is with the bare infinitive.

Can you help me move?
I want to help you buy a car.
She wanted to help me train my dog.

@BayramOzalp You could say it is hard to pack stuff because things are of different sizes. However, it's hard to see why that would be a problem. As for the items made of glass you will have to pack them carefully to avoid breakage

I’ll try to explain why it’s harder to move in winter:
First of all, I wrote that some stuff is different sizes. So, It’s more difficult to pack them. Especially the small sizes take quite a long time. I wrap most of the small stuff in paper so they don’t break or get scratched. After that, I group them to pack.

As for the difficulty of moving in the winter, when the weather is cold it’s harder to carry packets from home to the carry truck and then from the carry truck to the new house. And usually, the warmer system doesn't work while carrying.

@BayramOzalp Yes, different things are of different sizes. And the smaller things might take longer to pack because there are more of them.

I guess the colder weather makes moving harder somehow. (I don't know how.)

It's a moving truck. Or a moving van.

The last sentence makes no sense at all.

I’ll try to explain why it’s harder to move in winter:

First of all, I wrote that some stuff is things come in different sizes no full stop here so no comma here it’s more difficult to pack them. Especially The small sizes things take quite a long time. I wrap most of the small stuff them in paper so they don’t break or get scratched. After that, I group them ready to pack.

As for the difficulty of moving in the winter, when the weather is cold it’s harder to carry packets boxes from home to the carry truck removal van and then from the carry truck removal van to the new house. Why is it harder when it's cold?

And usually, the warmer system doesn't work while carrying. I have no idea what this sentence means.
Note my corrections, comments and question above.

@BayramOzalp I don't understand why you group things. After you wrap it you pack it.

@BayramOzalp I don't understand why you group things. After you wrap it you pack it.
It makes a lot of sense to organise things into logical groups before putting them in boxes when moving house. It makes it much easier to unpack in your new home if you've got boxes labelled, for example, "Glassware", "Crockery", "Books".

Note my corrections, comments and question above.
I want to explain the last sentence I wrote. I also have an important question.

I wanted to explain that the heating/warm system in the house was not working while we were moving our belongings (in both houses)

As for my question, I am trying to learn English by myself, but I realize that it is insufficient.
There were a lot of mistakes in this last part I wrote.

What would you recommend me?
Which book or which video series or what should I do?
In order to eliminate these errors/mistakes, which subjects should I study in English?

Can you explain step by step?

I want to explain the last sentence I wrote.

I wanted to explain that the heating/warm system in the house was not working while we were moving our belongings (in both houses).
Until now, it wasn't clear that you were talking about one specific instance when you moved house. You seemed to be talking generally about the process of moving house.
Your explanation helps but it's not clear why the heating wasn't working in either house. I don't see why you couldn't have the heating on in the house you were leaving - you could have just turned it off when you left with the last box. I don't understand why the heating wasn't working in the new house either. If you have the keys and it's your house, you presumably have control of the heating. If I were moving, I would put the heating on when I arrived with the first box and the house would continue to warm up while I was moving the rest of the stuff.

Until now, it wasn't clear that you were talking about one specific instance when you moved house. You seemed to be talking generally about the process of moving house.
Your explanation helps but it's not clear why the heating wasn't working in either house. I don't see why you couldn't have the heating on in the house you were leaving - you could have just turned it off when you left with the last box. I don't understand why the heating wasn't working in the new house either. If you have the keys and it's your house, you presumably have control of the heating. If I were moving, I would put the heating on when I arrived with the first box and the house would continue to warm up while I was moving the rest of the stuff.
We do not turn on the heating during the winter months, in the cold, when moving house, because the door of the house is always open. After the transport is finished and after closing the door, of course, we turn on the heating.

OK, but then it's your choice not to put the heating on. That doesn't mean that it's harder to move house in the winter. You just make it harder for yourself.

Perhaps: "We don't turn on the heat because the door is always open."

In American English we just say we're moving (not "moving house"). Added: We say "heat" (not "heating").

In American English we just say we're moving (not "moving house"). Added: We say "heat" (not "heating").

YES!

Well, if you leave the door open your heating bill will go through the roof.
😃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back