I will get you a copy from his check up report ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
You were asked about someone's health. The questioner was told that the person he asking about suffering from chronic disease. Would it be correct to say I am so sorry to hear that. I don't know. However, I will try my best to get you a copy from his check up report and send it to you to see it yourself correct?

You were asked about someone's health. The questioner was told that the person he asking about suffering from chronic disease. Would it be correct to say I am so sorry to hear that. I don't know. However, I will try my best to get you a copy from his check up report and send it to you to see it yourself correct?

In the US, that would be impossible because of doctor-patient confidentiality laws.

What is the best response, concerning using correct English, in such a situation, please?

There is no correct English way of saying this. In all English-speaking countries that I know of, the situation is the same as in the US.

You were asked about someone's health. The questioner was told that the person he is asking about is suffering from a chronic disease. Would it be correct to say I am so sorry to hear that. I don't know. However, I will try my best to get you a copy from his check up report and send it to you to see it yourself correct?

Let's imagine the unlikely scenario in which a doctor might be willing to hand over confidential medical information to a third party.

A: I've been told that Mr XXX is suffering from a chronic illness. Is that true?
B: Oh dear. It's very unfortunate if he is. I honestly don't know. However, I could contact his doctor and ask if he/she would be prepared to divulge that information. If so, I'll get you a copy of Mr XXX's latest medical report so you can see it for yourself.

Of course, for the reasons that others have already given, the most likely response from B is "I have no idea. You will/would have to ask Mr XXX yourself."

There is no correct English way of saying this. In all English-speaking countries that I know of, the situation is the same as in the US.

In fact, as reported recently, insurance companies in the UK can and do buy patients records from the NHS. Something that our current government is actively facilitating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back