I went there many times since I had known him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestBuddy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I've recently learnt that we can use "since" only with the connection to the present. But how should we say about THOSE ABSOLUTELY SAME actions but after they stopped? (I know about the past perfect but it has a connection to another moment in the past which is not the case here)

A:
1. She's been going to his grave every weekend since 1923. (She still goes there)
2. She went/was going to his grave every weekend (?) 1923. (She doesn't go there anymore)(from?)

B:
1. He hasn't done that since he was a teenager. (He's alive)
2. He didn't do that (?) he was a teenager. (He's dead)(from when?)

C:
1. He's been looking after them ever since he's been living here. (He still looks after them)
2. He looked/was looking after them ever (?) he had been living here. (He died many years ago)(after?)

D:
1. I've been there many times since I've known him. (He is still alive)
2. I went there many times (?) I had known him. (He died many years
ago)(after?)

What should we change "since" to in 2's after those actions stopped/finished?

Last edited:
I've recently learnt that we can use "since" only with the a connection to the present. But How should do we say talk about THOSE ABSOLUTELY SAME actions but after they stopped? (I know about the past perfect but it has a connection to another moment in the past which is not the case here.)

A:
1. She's been going to his grave every weekend since 1923. (She still goes there.)
2. She went/was going to his grave every weekend (?) 1923. (She doesn't go there anymore)(from?)

B:
1. He hasn't done that since he was a teenager. (He's alive.)
2. He didn't do that (?) he was a teenager. (He's dead)(from when?)

C:
1. He's been looking after them ever since he's been living here. (He still looks after them.)
2. He looked/was looking after them ever (?) he had been living here. (He died many years ago.)(after?)

D:
1. I've been there many times since I've known him. (He is still alive)
2. I went there many times (?) I had known him. (He died many years
ago)(after?)

What should we change "since" to in the 2s (no apostrophe) after those actions stopped/finished?
A: She went to his grave every weekend from 1923 until/to [year].
B: He didn't do that once he turned 20./He didn't do that once he was no longer a teenager.
C: He looked after them all the time he lived there.
D: I went there many times after I met him.

Note that C1 isn't natural. We'd say "ever since he moved here" or "all the time he's been living here".
Note that D1 isn't natural. We'd say "since I [first] met him".

It isn't an absolute rule that we don't use since with reference to a past time. It can work certain narratives:

Since he was a child, he'd always had a yearning to be alone.

However, to answer your question generally, you can usually replace since with from to backshift the meaning:

From the time he was a child, he'd always had a yearning to be alone.

Note though that from can only be a preposition, so while replacing preposition since is quite straightforward (as in your example A), replacing conjunction since with preposition from requires some extra words (from the time or from the moment, etc.).

Last edited:
Note though that from can only be a preposition, so when replacing preposition since it's quite straightforward (as in your example A), but to replace conjunction since with preposition from requires some extra words (from the time or from the moment, etc.).
Thank you very much.

Note that C1 isn't natural. We'd say "ever since he moved here" or "all the time he's been living here".
I don't know why you say using "since + a period of time/perfect aspect" is unusual. Cambridge says it's correct "It’s been years since I’ve ridden a bike." it's from the site.

Since.pngSince 2.png

Since 6.png

I don't know why you say using "since + a period of time/perfect aspect" is unusual. Cambridge says it's correct "It’s been years since I’ve ridden a bike." it's from the site.

emsr2d2 didn't mean to imply that using since before a perfect aspect is unusual.

emsr2d2 didn't mean to imply that using since before a perfect aspect is unusual.
Sorry, not "unusual', but "is not natural".

I don't think there's anything unnatural about C1 and D1.

I don't think there's anything unnatural about C1 and D1.
I can't think of any similar context in which I've said/needed to say "since I had known him".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back