Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
This is my favourite place in the world. This spot, right here, because I was Zeppelin's age watch my dad do shit in this very spot.
(Korn - Making Of 'A Different World (feat. Corey Taylor)'; YouTube)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether I've heard him correctly, and if so, how would a 'I was Zeppelin's age watching my dad do' version differ from the original one?

Thanks.

He says watching. It's not correct to say watch.

It's not irksome. :)

No, not really. It's just that I know he says it.

No, not really. It's just that I know he says it.

What if somebody with a slight (nonnative) accent said it in this (inaudible) way would you question whether they knew how to say it correctly? In other words, if I just dropped the -ing in similar cases would people know that I actually was saying the -ing or would it bother them and hence the need for somebody with a nonnative accent, albeit slight, to enunciate the -ing a little bit more clearly?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Don't drop the -ing.

Corey's not really dropping the -ing, either—he's just talking so rapidly that it's virtually inaudible.

As a native-speaker, I know that he says it. However, with you as a non-native, I might doubt whether you made an error.

He pronounces it more like "watch'n my dad". It's barely audible, but the rhythm of the syllables makes its presence plain to me. It's quite normal in fast speech.

It's unclear, but he does say something of the second syllable.

It's very common to drop the -ng sound from an -ing word and to replace it with -in'. The word watching would become watchin', or sometimes more like watch'n if someone is speaking quickly. However, if the next word starts with an m, you'll sometimes hear the n of the -ing ending turn into an m and blend into the next word. In this case, the word watching becomes watchim or watch'm. In this video you're actually hearing him saying "...watch'm my dad..." with another speaker's voice inconveniently overlapping the ending of the one word we want to hear clearly!

In this specific example it is very subtle and it's almost impossible to actually hear the specific sounds, even as a native speaker, so I have recorded two versions of myself repeating the phrase in the video to help illustrate the very slight difference.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZyX6SOG1VE - "...watching my dad..."

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1hjHoUKY6uC - "...watch'm my dad..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back