Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Respected All,

What is meant by the following sentences, which tense is it and where (context) to use such a group of words?

I was to have gone to school. They were to have played cricket.

Abdul Basit

It's up to you to provide the context of where you found them. There is not much point in producing isolated sentences and asking where they could be used.

Both of these have the past simple of am/is/are to (this verb has no infinitive BE to) followed by a perfect infinitive.

Would you please explain the meaning of at least one these sentences. If we say "I have gone to school" is easy to learn the meaning in my own native language (present perfect tense). But using be "which is was" here and to before have "which is a helping verb" and then using third form of verb is very difficult to understand the meaning in my own native language. What could be the best possible meaning in English. I mean explain this sentence in other words.

One of the main uses of am/is/are/was/were + to us to talk about plans or expectations rather fomally.

The Prime Minister is to announce the findings of the enquiry in parliament tomorrow.
I am to take over as Director of Stdies next term.
Her father told her she was to clean out the stables.

If it is followed by a perfect infinitive, the implication is that the thing that was planned/expected did not happen.

I was to have gone to school in September, but the accident meant I did not go until the following March.

Sir,
Got it now! you can't imagine how happy I am after learning this point. Again please
We were to have played football yesterday, but it rained.
Regards

We were to have played football yesterday, but it rained.
That is correct, though perhaps a little formal.

If you and your friends had planned to have an informal game, then you'd be more likely to say, "We were going to play football, but it rained".

If you had a scheduled activity, then your version is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back