I was riding the pillion and my friend was sitting in the front driving the bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) I was riding the pillion and my friend was sitting in the front driving the motorcycle.

1) I was sitting in the back and my friend was sitting in the front driving the bicycle.

Is the word "Drive" correct here? If not then, what word should it be replaced with?

1) I was riding the pillion and my friend was sitting in the front driving the motorcycle.

1) I was sitting in the back and my friend was sitting in the front driving the bicycle.

Is the word "driving" correct here? If not then, what word should it be replaced with?

What word would you use other than "driving"?

tufguy, please Google the following:

what verb collocates with motorbike?

You're evading my question. Why did you ask the same question after two years?

I just wanted to know whether "drive" can be used or not. [STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]
Don't capitalize a word to emphasize it. I don't want to have to tell you this again.

Your statement was not a question, so the question mark was incorrect. This is a common error among native speakers as well, so don't be surprised if you see it in their informal writing.

I am perfectly okay with "drive" there. In fact, despite the popularity of "ride" the word "drive" is more logical.

I am perfectly okay with "drive" there. In fact, despite the popularity of "ride" the word "drive" is more logical.
Maybe so, but it's not idiomatic. Native speakers don't say someone is "driving" a motorcycle.

Maybe so, but it's not idiomatic. Native speakers don't say someone is "driving" a motorcycle.

Then the sentence from the dictionary (in #5) isn't very good.

Would it be better if it said "He rode his motorbike, with me riding pillion"?

Then the sentence from the dictionary (in #5) isn't very good.

Would it be better if it said "He rode his motorbike, with me riding pillion"?
No. "He" was the driver, and the other person was the pillion passenger.

Note that we don't use the word "pillion" in American English.

Tzfujimino, note that I edited my reply. "Drove" is okay in the dictionary's example. "Rode" wouldn't make sense because both the driver and the passenger were riding the bike.

1) I was riding the pillion(I was the pass[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]enger) and my friend was sitting in the front riding the motorcycle.

1) I was sitting in the back(I was the pass[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]enger) and my friend was sitting in the front riding the bicycle.

Note the duplicate spelling error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back