I was lying face first and I turned over and to "lie on my back" or "to be supine".

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I was lying face first and I turned over and to "lie on my back" or "to be supine".

I was lying face first then I "turned over to lie on my back" or "to be supine".

Is my sentence correct? If so, then what should I say if the situation is the other way around? Shoul I say "I turned back" or "flipped over" to lie face first on bed"?

Re: I was lying face first and I turned over and to "lie on my back" or "to be supine

Just say: I changed from lying in a prone position to a supine position.

Incidentally, the prone position is recommended for covid-19 patients who have breathing difficulties.

Re: I was lying face first and I turned over and to "lie on my back" or "to be supine

You will not be at the same position on the floor if you roll over.
To be at the same position, you turn over.

Lie on your stomach and lie on your back will be understood by everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

You will not be at the same position on the floor if you roll over.

And yet many native speakers would say "Roll over onto your back" to someone who was lying on their front. We would all know what they meant.

I was lying face down. Then I "turned over[STRIKE] to lie on my back" or "to be supine[/STRIKE]".

Is my sentence correct?

It was grammatical but not natural.

If so, then what should I say if the situation is the other way around? Should I say "I turned over" or "flipped over" to lie face down on the bed[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]?

Either way, we'd usually say "rolled over" or "turned over." If it was a sudden movement, then "flipped over" is right.
Although turned over and rolled over can have different meanings, in this context they mean the same thing.

In a different context, sometimes we train dogs to roll over. Then the dog starts upright and finishes upright. The dog has rolled all the way over.

NOT A TEACHER

Tufguy, I am one of those people who have long been confused by the difference between "prone" and "supine."

I think that it is fair to say that many (most?) people here in the (United) States are confused about the difference. So it might be safer to always say something like "He was lying face down" or "He was lying face up."

I recently taught myself how to know the difference. The word "supine" has the word "up" in it, as in "face up."

That's a neat trick, The Parser. I'm going to remember it. Mind you, I don't plan to use either "prone" or "supine" much in everyday conversation. For years, I just thought that lying "prone" meant simply lying flat, whether face up or face down.

That's a neat trick, The Parser. I'm going to remember it. Mind you, I don't plan to use either "prone" or "supine" much in everyday conversation. For years, I just thought that lying "prone" meant simply lying flat, whether face up or face down.
With the discovery that proning — keeping the patient face down — is a big aid to recovery from serious covid-19 cases, I don't think I'll ever forget what "prone" means.

. . . Tufguy, I am one of those people who have long been confused by the difference between "prone" and "supine." . . .
When you're supine, you're on your spine.

And yet many native speakers would say "Roll over onto your back" to someone who was lying on their front. We would all know what they meant.

So, we can ask "Please tell me when I should "turn over" or "roll over" or "flip over". Am I correct? And if we are lying face up then, do we need to say the same to change our position to face down?

First, you don't say anything to change your position. You turn over.

I wish your post wasn't so hard to read. It's giving me a headache.

Off-topic

I wish your post wasn't so hard to read. It's giving me a headache.

Maybe you need to lie down. Now you just have to decide whether to be prone or supine.
;-)

Last edited:

Off-topic

Maybe you need to lie down. Now you just have to decide whether to be prone or supine. ;-)

Talk about hard to read! That's barely there.
;-)

;-)

I always put off-topic comments in a fainter colour. I've changed it to a slightly darker shade of grey but not black.

OK

;-)
You can highlight it to make it crystal clear.

Off-topic

Maybe you need to lie down. Now you just have to decide whether to be prone or supine. [/COLOR];-)

How about my question?

So, we can ask "Please tell me when I should "turn over" or "roll over" or "flip over". Am I correct? And if we are lying face up then, do we need to say the same to change our position to face down?

How about my question?

Any combination of these will work:

"Turn over/Roll over/Flip over onto your front/back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back