Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Source:
I heard a university-educated American said that in a video clip.

Context:
I was a private business people.

Question:
I think 'people' is a collective noun. Is it really correct or common to say so in this context? I would say 'I was a private business person'.

A native speaker would never say that except in jest.

Please provide a link to the video.

It's not unheard of to refer to a single person as "people" but it's usually done for specific effect or in jest. For example, if Matt gives Jenny £500 because he's heard she's short of money, she could say "Oh, wow, thank you. Matt, you're good people!" Of course, she means "You're a good person" but what she has done is make it clear that he has demonstrated that he is part of a subset of society who are "good people".

It is President Trump who says it when he debates with Biden. I saw a thread was deleted with the reason of political content, so I didn't indicate clearly who says it. My intention is I wanted to know whether or not the usage of 'a ... people' is correct, but not let you people discuss politics, meanwhile I don't want to breach the forum requirement.

If you comfirm I can post the link which is from a Chinese website, I will do.

P.S. My question has been answered.

Last edited:
Now, how should we interpret that "people"?
:?:

I looked at the transcript. He misspoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back