Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. I wanted to know if you will send us the documents before next Friday.
2. I would like to know if you will send us the documents before next Friday.

I’m sending an email to another company. Are the above sentences natural and polite?

They're both grammatically correct. I would say the second is more polite, with "I would like to know". Using any form of "want" in a formal message can come across as abrupt and potentially impolite.

You can also say:

3. Could you let me know whether you will send us the documents before next Friday?

1. I wanted to know if you will send us the documents before next Friday.
2. I would like to know if you will send us the documents before next Friday.
I find the whole message, however it's worded, unnatural.

What are you going to do if they simply reply 'No'?

I find the whole message, however it's worded, unnatural.

What are you going to do if they simply reply 'No'?
I will report it to my superior.
How do I make it more natural?

Perhaps:

Please tell us when we can expect to receive the documents. Can you send them before next Friday?

Are they supposed to send them by next Friday or is this simply more convenient for you?

Are they supposed to send them by next Friday or is this simply more convenient for you?
If they cannot send them by next Friday, it is fine but we need to make some special arrangements. We don’t want to let them know that we have special arrangements before they reply to our email.

I think we are noving out of the realms of language forums here.

If they cannot send them by next Friday, it is fine but we need to make some special arrangements. We don’t want to let them know that we have made special arrangements before they reply to our email.
How can you say "We don't want to let them know that" using fewer words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back