Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Do you think the phrase "I want to dump them all onto you" makes sense and is usable in an online chat in this context? It doesn't seem to me like the phrase exists already in this context so I suppose this is a neologism: "Want to hear more songs like this? I want to dump them all onto you..."

My intent here is to use "dump" as a verb the way it is used in the noun "info dump" but with music instead. It's supposed to mean I want to spam the other person with all similar songs I have.

The connotations of "dump" are almost entirely negative.
As are the connotations of "spam". Spam is unrequested and unwanted. Do you really want to say to this person "I'm going to send you spam"? I don't think your phrase works. Surely you want the person to be appreciative of your sending them all this music. After "Want to hear more songs like this?", I'd use:

I'll email them to you.
I'll pop them in your inbox.
I'll send you links to them.

There are multiple other possibilities that sound much more positive and generous than "dump".

The connotations of "dump" are almost entirely negative.
As are the connotations of "spam". Spam is unrequested and unwanted. Do you really want to say to this person "I'm going to send you spam"? I don't think your phrase works.

I'm aware; I'd argue the act of "info dumping" i.e. drowning someone with information on a topic is generally seen as kinda undesired. By phrasing it this way I want to show that I'm aware of that but still enjoy the activity so much that I'd like to do it. Besides, I intend to be semi-tongue-in-cheek, meaning I want to send them a handful of songs, maybe monologue about them for a bit but not actually overwhelm them.
Maybe I should've made this clearer in my original post.

Taking that into consideration, do you still think the phrase is unusable in this context?

Last edited:
Two things. One, if you want to use "info dump" I can't stop you. Two, I hate "kinda" used as a word. (Maybe it's just me.)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back