Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
. . .
I looked at the handbill, and my head turned. What was the use of words? why seek to explain to Pinkerton the knotted horrors of "Americo-Parisienne"? He took an early occasion to point it out as "rather a good phrase; gives the two sides at a glance: I wanted the lecture written up to that." Even after we had reached San Francisco, and at the actual physical shock of my own effigy placarded on the streets I had broken forth in petulant words, he never comprehended in the least the ground of my aversion.
. . .
(The Wrecker by R. L. Stevenson and L. Osbourne, Chapter vi)

My query now: hasn't I wanted the lecture written up to that got to be I wanted the lecture to be written up to that - I mean the complete notation?
Thank you.

Last edited:
No.

Thank you.
Why not? I can't realize it; lecture is the object and to be written up is the corresponding to-infinitive. It would make sense. What's the difference as to the meaning? It's over my head actually.

No difference in meaning. It's just that the 'to be' part is not necessary.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back