English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello
I'm a little bit confused about this sentence - "I want that Mark sets a good example to his brother."
It seems to be - I want Mark to set a good example to his brother.
Is it possible to use the subordinate clause ?

Where did you see the version with "I want that ..."? Don't forget that we need the source and author of anything you didn't write yourself.

I've never heard but often seen in Russian textbooks. This example is only one of many. "The doctor didn't want that the patient got ill again". And so on.
Complex Object, Complex Subject. By Gurikova Yuliya S.

The Passive in this textbook - "I saw a policeman arrest the man." The passive -"I saw the man arrested." It seems to me - I saw the man to be arrested.

I've never heard it but I've often seen it in Russian textbooks. This example is only one of many. "The doctor didn't want that the patient got ill again". And so on.
Complex Object, Complex Subject. By Gurikova Yuliya S.
I don't think that text book is doing you any good. We wouldn't use the example sentence you quoted. We'd say "The doctor didn't want the patient to get ill again".

The passive example in this textbook is "I saw a policeman arrest the man" The passive - > "I saw the man arrested." It seems to me that it means "I saw the man to be arrested."

The example is unnatural. Not only that, it loses the information about who was arresting the man.

Active: I saw a policeman arrest the man.
Passive: I saw the man being arrested by a policeman.

"I saw the man to be arrested" is not grammatical.

I spend a fair amount of time teaching students to use want somebody to do something and not to use want that + clause. Many learners use the latter structure because it more or less translates from the first language. I'll stop short of saying that it's ungrammatical, but I will say you should discourage your learners from using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back