I think some special occasions like weddings or anniversaries...

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is my italic sentence natural?

I think some special occasions like weddings or anniversaries have become too commercial because people use them to earn money and giving gifts have become an obligation.

Context: In China, people often throw weddings or other anniversaries to celebrate anything as a way to earn money and it seems that we must give gifts. I think such occasions are very commercial nowadays.

Which pronoun does this equate to?
I want to say that "and giving gifts to people who organize weddings or anniversaries" have become an obligation, something we must do but in the past we could choose not to give a gift or money in such occasions. When someone who's invited to someone's graduation party, for example, he or she didn't necessarily need to buy a gift in the past but now they have to. I think this is only happening in my country.

No. Focus on my question. Which pronoun (I, you, he, she, it, they, we) can substitute for "giving gifts"?

No. Focus on my question. Which pronoun (I, you, he, she, it, they, we) can substitute for "giving gifts"?
Sorry, I didn't understand your question but now I do. It should be "it", so the sentence should be:

.....and giving gifts has become an obligation.

Please help me with my italic sentence when you're not busy.

"Commercial" is not the right word. No one is selling or marketing anything.

Maybe they're too "materialistic." Or the people are just plain greedy.

"Commercial" is not the right word. No one is selling or marketing anything.

Maybe they're too "materialistic." Or the people are just plain greedy.
微信图片_20240808095727.png

Well, "commercial" is the right word because this is how Unlock 3 (Page 95) uses it. I didn't provide this in the OP because my sentence has nothing to do with this column; the sentence is just my opinion.

Unlock is based on the Cambridge English Corpus and it's very reliable among learners in and around the world. I don't think professors who wrote and edited this book would make such a mistake or even if they did, they would correct those mistakes immediately.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back