[Grammar] I saw an accident when/while I was going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
1 - I was going to work when I saw an accident.
2 - I was driving while my wife was singing.
3 - I saw an accident when I was going to work.
4 - I saw an accident while I was going to work.

I believe the four sentences above are grammatically right. Personally, I don't like number 3 and I can't understand when "while" and "when" are interchangeable. Is there a rule?

Last edited:
1 - I was going to work when I saw an accident.
2 - I was driving while my wife was singing.
3 - I saw an accident when I was going to work.

I believe the four sentences above are grammatical. Personally, I don't like number 3, and I can't understand when "while" and "when" are interchangeable. Is there a rule?
They're all grammatical. The first and the fourth are unnatural. The second is okay. The third is acceptable, but I would prefer, e.g.:
I saw an accident on my way to work.

If you were there at the actual time of the accident, you can say:
I witnessed an accident on my way to work.

I'm not aware of any hard-and-fast rule governing the interchangeability of "when" and "while".

when and while have different uses, so they are not 'interchangeable'.

They're all grammatical. The first and the fourth are unnatural. The second is okay. The third is acceptable, but I would prefer, e.g.:
I saw an accident on my way to work.

If you were there at the actual time of the accident, you can say:
I witnessed an accident on my way to work.

What about these sentences?

1 - I was watching TV when the bell rang.
2 - I was watching TV while my wife was cooking.
3 - The bell rang when I was watching TV.
4 - The bell rang while I was watching TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am puzzled by the claim that this is unnatural. I would happily say it any time I came across an accident on my way to work.

What about these sentences?

1 - I was watching TV when the bell rang.
2 - I was watching TV while my wife was cooking.
3 - The bell rang when I was watching TV.
4 - The bell rang while I was watching TV.
They're all okay.

It's hard to know what you mean. Why did a bell ring? How is watching TV relevant to a bell ringing?

Without context, it seems to me that you mean to use 3, not 4.

It's hard to know what you mean. Why did a bell ring? How is watching TV relevant to a bell ringing?

Without context, it seems to me that you mean to use 3, not 4.

Could you kindly come up with two sentences that follow this pattern " Something happened when/while I was doing something" and show me the difference?

Something happened when I was 5 and I will never forget it. ("... while I was 5" doesn't work here.) I realise that doesn't fit the "while I was doing something" but it's still an example in which the two are not interchangeable.

Could you kindly come up with two sentences that follow this pattern " Something happened when/while I was doing something" and show me the difference?

Okay, I'll try to explain how I understand this, and how I would begin teaching it. Be aware that what follows is a very simplified explanation that shows only a small and vague picture of usage.

First: how the uses of while and when can be distinct.

The choice of whether to use while or when is determined by the relationship between the two clauses. That means it depends on the meaning of what is being said. To give a brief rule of thumb:

Use while to simply stress that two events happen concurrently. There is no (necessary) logical connection between them other than their concurrence. E.g.:

In the mornings, I make breakfast while my wife gets the kids ready for school.

(Note that while can be used to show a logical relation of contrast, but that's not relevant to this thread.)

Use when to show a logical connection between two events. In other words, there is some kind of dependence of one clause upon the other. E.g.:

Don't kick a man when he's down.
Everyone cheered when she entered the room.
It hurts when I laugh.

Can you hear how in each sentence, the first clause only makes proper sense in relation to the second clause? The first clause is dependent on the second.

So, in light of this difference, as you requested, we can make two sentences using past simple + past continuous.

I watched TV while the baby was sleeping.

There is no implied dependence here. The two events are unrelated apart from their concurrence.

She crashed when she was trying to go round the corner.

Here there is a clearly implied dependence. In this case the relationship is causal: I'm implying the reason I crashed.

In my view, cases where the two words may appear to be interchangeable are those where the nature of the relationship is either open to interpretation, vague, or too weak to be detected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back