I saw a dog running ... and knock/knocked down by a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I saw a dog running across the road and knock/knocked down by a car.

Which verb in bold should I use?

Thanks.

I saw a dog running across the road and knock/knocked down by a car.

Which verb in bold should I use?

Thanks.

You need more words in the sentence.

"I saw a dog running across the road and then [suddenly] it was knocked down by a car."

At a push, you could just about say "I saw a dog running across the road and being knocked down by a car" but it doesn't sound very natural.

Had you started with "A dog ran..." then it would have been "A dog ran across the road and was knocked down by a car" without needing "then it was".

You need more words in the sentence.

"I saw a dog running across the road and then [suddenly] it was knocked down by a car."

At a push, you could just about say "I saw a dog running across the road and being knocked down by a car" but it doesn't sound very natural.

Had you started with "A dog ran..." then it would have been "A dog ran across the road and was knocked down by a car" without needing "then it was".

could we substitute knock down with pull down in this sentence?

- I saw a dog running across the road andsuddenly it was pulled down by a car.

or: I saw a dog running across the road andsuddenly a car ran into it. (Is it also possible?)

could we substitute knock down with pull down in this sentence?

- I saw a dog running across the road and suddenly it was pulled down by a car. No.

or: I saw a dog running across the road and suddenly a car ran into it. (Is it also possible?) this is possible but less natural than this from emsr2d2: "A dog ran across the road and was knocked down by a car".
Bhai.

"To be knocked down by" is a very specific term for being hit by a car. We wouldn't use (in BrE) anything except "knocked down by", "hit by" or "run over by".

If death was the result, we might say "He was killed by a car" but it's more usual to say "run over and killed by..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back