I said I'm C1 so that's got to mean something.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I said I'm C1 so that's got to mean something.

Context: someone tells me "your English is quite good. I don't think it needs much improvement." And I tell them "well, I said I'm (proficiency level) C1 so that's got to mean something - but there's still room to improve".
Does the "so" here sound natural to you?
I wonder if I should rather say "I said I'm C1 and that's got to mean something" or "I said I'm C1. That's got to mean something" because it sounds a bit odd to me to basically reason "I said something, thus it had meaning" which seems like stating the super obvious and it almost reminds me of philosophical statements such as "I think, so I am". How do you feel about that?

1. It's natural enough. (Say: "There's room for improvement." Also, leave the "I said" out.)
2. The one with "and" is okay too.
3. I prefer the one with neither "so" nor "and".

Tarheel makes a good point. Based on post #1, this is how the dialogue went:

Someone: Your English is quite good. I don't think it needs much improvement.
You: Well, I said I'm C1 so that's got to mean something.

That's it - just two lines of dialogue. The "Well, I said ..." part would only make sense if you had said something about being C1 before "Someone" said their line.

Tarheel makes a good point. Based on post #1, this is how the dialogue went:

Someone: Your English is quite good. I don't think it needs much improvement.
You: Well, I said I'm C1 so that's got to mean something.

That's it - just two lines of dialogue. The "Well, I said ..." part would only make sense if you had said something about being C1 before "Someone" said their line.
So you're saying I should've mentioned I referred to an earlier point in time in which I said I was C1 with the "well, I said"–part, right?
I'm not exactly sold on that but I'm open to have my mind changed.
My reasoning is me saying "I said..." already implies there was an earlier part in the conversation I'm referring to and this is a very simple, common thing, so I don't think it needs to be explicitly mentioned.
I understand your preference for very clear language. On the other hand, there's a trade-off between that and sentence shortness. In conclusion, when weighing all these points against each other I'd rather omit explicitly mentioning there was an earlier part in the conversation in which I mentioned being C1.

Last edited:
You seem to mean:

Well, as I said, I'm C1, so that's got to mean something.

Why wouldn't my variant be possible?

Because it's not what you mean and, as you observe in your post #1, it doesn't make sense.

If you use the word 'so', it follows logically from the clause 'I'm C1' and not from 'I said I'm C1'.

My point. "I'm C1" means something. (It's a status of some sort.) "I said I'm C1" means what? (I have no idea.)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back