Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I posted a video yesterday where in one word used by me was interpreted wrongly.

I posted a video yesterday where in one word used by me has been interpreted wrongly.

Are both these sentenses correct? I understand we can't use "was" in the first sentence as the matter relates to the yesterday only. If the matter was old then we can use "was". Is my understanding correct?

They're both wrong. Which sentence you should use depends on what you mean.

1) In the video I posted yesterday I misinterpreted one word.

This uses the active voice and the past simple tense. It focuses on what you did yesterday.

2) In the video I posted yesterday I have misinterpreted one word.

This is active and focuses on the fact that the video presently contains an error you made.

3) In the video I posted yesterday there's one word that has been misinterpreted.

This also focuses on the fact that the video presently contains an error, but it directs the blame away from you a little.

Also, it isn't clear whether you mean that you misinterpreted (understood it in the wrong way) the word, or whether you misused (used it in the wrong way) the word. In my models above, I've assumed you mean 'misunderstood'.

1. I posted a video yesterday, [STRIKE]where in[/STRIKE] in which one word that I used [STRIKE]by me[/STRIKE] was misinterpreted. [STRIKE]wrongly.[/STRIKE]
2. I posted a video yesterday, [STRIKE]where in[/STRIKE] in which one word that I used by me has been misinterpreted. [STRIKE]wrongly.[/STRIKE]

Are both these sentences correct? I understand we can't use "was" in the first sentence [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] because [strike]the matter relates to the[/strike] it happened yesterday. [STRIKE]only.[/STRIKE] If [STRIKE]the matter was old[/STRIKE] it had happened longer ago, then we [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could use "was". Is my understanding correct?

Note my corrections above. As written, your sentences mean that someone else misinterpreted (misunderstood) something you said. Is that what happened? How long ago it happened has nothing to do with it.

These are all possible:

I posted a video yesterday, in which something I said was misinterpreted.
I posted a video in February 2018, in which something I said was misinterpreted.
I posted a video yesterday, in which something I said has been misinterpreted.
I posted a video in February 2018, in which something I said has been misinterpreted.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume, based on your other thread, that you're trying to apologise for using a word in the wrong way. If this is the case, you need to use:

• the past simple tense, because you want to focus on what you did in the past
  • the active voice, because you want to say that it was your fault
  • misused, because that's what you mean

Please tell us whether I've understood correctly what you're trying to do.

Note my corrections above. As written, your sentences mean that someone else misinterpreted (misunderstood) something you said. Is that what happened? How long ago it happened has nothing to do with it.

These are all possible:

I posted a video yesterday, in which something I said was misinterpreted.
I posted a video in February 2018, in which something I said was misinterpreted.
I posted a video yesterday, in which something I said has been misinterpreted.
I posted a video in February 2018, in which something I said has been misinterpreted.

Yes, someone else has misinterpreted. What is the difference it makes when we use "was" or "has been"?

I posted a video yesterday, where in in which one word that I used by me was misinterpreted. wrongly.

Can't we use interpreted wronlgy instead of "misinterpreted"? I understand both have same meaning.

Can't we use interpreted wrongly instead of "misinterpreted"? I understand both have the same meaning.
We don't usually use two words when a single word that expresses the same thing exists.

Why do we use "the" before "same"?

The phrase is the same meaning.

You don't need to ask why we use the, you just have to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back