[General] I need help to improve my English in all aspects (Vocabulary, Pronunciation, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riocuizonmcgalliard

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States
Hello, first I would like to introduce myself briefly. I am a Filipino who is currently living in united states for about 6 months now. I am married with an american and we have been together as boyfriend and girlfriend for almost 3 years. Before I got here I thought it would't be so hard to communicate with other native speakers here,because me and my husband were able to communicate well. But I was shocked when I encountered these people who has a different accent,and they talked so fast most of the time,and I couldn't catch what they are trying to tell me:oops:. And sometimes me and my husband had some trouble communicating which leads to misunderstanding and sometimes he thought that I just won't listen to him:-(. I tried to explain it to him and he's trying to understand my side as well. But still I have a strong desire to improve my English,I want to work in time,but I have to learn so many things first and language is the most important aspect. As you could see my English is very basic and I will appreciate the time and efforts of yours by reading and sharing your knowledge. Thank You so much in advance folks! :)

This is a problem that I know well. Many of my Mexican students express the same thoughts as yours. The Mexicans also tell me that they have problems understanding Cubans because the Cubans speak too fast. When you are trying to understand a word the rest of the sentence goes on and you are lost as to what just happened. The only answer I know of is to keep trying. After a time your mind will start to understand sentences rather than just words. If you don't understand a word or a phrase, it is best to ask rather than merely stand there. Language will come after time. Many Americans I know go into Mexico for a weekend or longer and stay with a Mexican family. During the day these people go to class to learn Spanish, and at night they speak to their host family - but only in Spanish. This is called total immersion and is one of the fastest ways to learn a language. You seem to be in a similar situation. The trick here is for you to only speak in English. If you have specific language questions, feel free to post them here and someone will assist you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back