Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

I have learnt that ''Is living'' unlike ''lives'' suggests a temporary action. For example, ''I live in Paris.'' Is said by someone who was born in Paris or by someone who moved to Paris is still living there and is not going to move anywhere else. But ''I am living in Paris'' means I am here temporarily. The book says both are possible in its example. It's the same book. English Grammar in Context by Michael Vince.
''In this country more than a million people are living/live in poverty.''

Both forms are possible. Is the question which should you use?

Not necessarily. The duration of the state/action may be considered in some way as limited, but cam be too long to think of as 'temporary'
Not necessarily.

I used to live in Prague, but I live/am living in Beroun now. I have no intention of ever residing anywhere other than Beroun, but I can use either the present simple or the progressive to talk about my home. The progressive may perhaps convey the idea that this situation was not always so.

With verbs such as 'work' and 'live', which denote situations that often have a duration of considerable length, the difference in meaning meaning between the two forms is not always significant.

So when you say "I am living in Beroun." It suggests that its not your hometown but it doesn't mean that you are living there temporarily. If Someone says "I am working as a translator" it also suggests that the speaker hasn't always worked as a translator but it doesn't mean that its temporary. Do I understand correctly? It's so difficult to study grammar when different books have different rules.

Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation. For me as a non-native speaker it would be much easier to follow strict rules. I will try to accept the fact that there are no absolute rules. If I list the uses of the progressive in this way: suggests temporary actions (according to some books), suggests limited but not always temporary actions, describes actions/situations that were not always true. Just to have the list of all the possible uses.
But what is the difference between a limited and a temporary action? Could you please explain?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are trying to pin this down too precisely. There is considerable overlap in meaning.

A temporary situation for me is one that is clearly intended and known to be of comparatively short duration.

In the tense/aspect sense, 'limited duration' means that the situation is not presented as permanent. Here are a couple of examples.

1. My son is working from home because of the coronavirus situation.
2. My son is working in Istanbul. He's been there for eight years now.
3. My son works in Istanbul
. He's built up a very successful translation business.

1. The context of the coronavirus situation, which began a few months ago and which we all hope will end before too long, tell us that this is a temporary situation.

2 .The fact that my son has been working in Istanbul for eight years means that we can hardly consider this a temporary situation. However, we know that this situation had a beginning, and it may have an end one day. It is not temporary, but it is not presented as permanent.

3. No evidence appears her of the situation being temporary/of limited duration. It is presented as a permanent fact.

NOTE: other tenses/aspects are possible in those sentences. I have simply attempted togive an idea of the differences. I am fully aware that my initial explanation is rather fuzzy. That;s because the selection of tenses/aspects is not always based on clear factors.

I clearly see the difference now. Thank you so much!

NOTE: other tenses/aspects are possible in those sentences. I have simply attempted togive an idea of the differences. I am fully aware that my initial explanation is rather fuzzy. That;s because the selection of tenses/aspects is not always based on clear factors.
Sorry, one question.
Do you mean the present simple can be used in your first and second examples and the progressive in the third?

Fifty uses? Oh my God! I am sure I will come across the utterances you mentioned. I didn't know "I live" and "I am living" would be both possible when talking about your hometown. I try to use the most recommended textbooks but they leave you wondering and you cannot really find an answer until you ask a native speaker. I am really sorry to reask but what did you mean when you said that other aspects are possible in the quoted part in post #11?

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant that the present simple is possible in #2 and the present progressive in #3.

One last question, Piscean. I promise. Regarding the covid situation would you as a native speaker use the simple present instead of the progressive in your first example? "I work from home" instead of "I am working" because of covid.

I might use the present simple. As he has been working from home for about five months now, a situation that could continue for several months to come, I might not feel the need to stress the temporary side of this.

Many thanks for the interesting discussion!

I meant that the present simple is possible in #2 and the present progressive in #3.

I know I promised not to ask about it anymore but I was wondering if you were talking about your hometown not Beroun and if you were still living in your hometown, would you still use the progressive and say "I am living"? You mentioned the teachers who were shocked by "I am loving it", I was shocked too but in a good sense by the fact that there are so many options available.

I know, and you broke your promise.

I am not going to break my promise to myself that I would stop getting tied up in these never-ending threads.
I understand but you didn't say anything about hometowns. That's why I asked.

So when you say "I am living in Beroun." It suggests that its not your hometown but it doesn't mean that you are living there temporarily. If Someone says "I am working as a translator" it also suggests that the speaker hasn't always worked as a translator but it doesn't mean that its temporary. Do I understand correctly? It's so difficult to study grammar when different books have different rules.
You're making it complicated. Just accept that "am living" generally suggests a more temporary condition than "I live."

If you need to, review the defintions of generally and suggest.

Enough already!

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back