I liked Tom (B/but Tom didn't like me(.))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sped Tiger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Please, members, help me with this (I'd really be grateful to you): I have leant that we have to punctuation the information enclosed in parentheses only when those parentheses make a complete sentence, and all the examples provided showed the parentheses at the end, so I have a question now: If we have some parenthesis information that make a complete sentence but is at the middle, do we capitalise the first word and punctuate the parenthesis information?
Examples (which are correct?):
a.a. I liked Tom (But Tom didn't like me.) when we first met.
a.b. I liked Tom (but Tom didn't like me) when we first met.
b.a. If the verb ends in -oe, the final -e is never to be removed (Which, truthfully, I've found out all by myself.): shoe - shoeing, canoe - canoeing.
b.b. b. If the verb ends in -oe, the final -e is never to be removed: (Which, truthfully, I've found out all by myself) shoe - shoeing, canoe - canoeing.

We put something in parentheses (brackets) when providing additional but nonessential information.

As for your example sentence, I would say: "When we first met I liked Tom, but he didn't like me."

a.a. I liked Tom (But Tom didn't like me.) when we first met. ❌
a.b. I liked Tom (but Tom didn't like me) when we first met. ✅
I don't think many native speakers would produce a.b.
b.a. If the verb ends in -oe, the final -e is never to be removed (Which, truthfully, I've found out all by myself.): shoe - shoeing, canoe - canoeing.❌
b.b. If the verb ends in -oe, the final -e is never to be removed: (Which, truthfully, I've found out all by myself) shoe - shoeing, canoe - canoeing.
I am reluctant to mark b.b correct. It is extremely unnatural.

@Sped Tiger Say:

If the verb ends in "oe" the final "e" is never to be removed, for example: shoe, shoeing; canoe, canoeing. (I found that out in my own.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back