I like (to stay/staying) in bed late on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is there any difference?
1. I like to stay in bed late on Sundays.
2. I like staying in bed late on Sundays.

In number 1 we can say that the person often stays in bed late on Sundays, it's a kind of habbit.
OR it can mean he/she "enjoys" staying in bed late, because he/she feels relaxed when he/she has a lie-in on Sundays.

In number 2 we can say that the person really enjoys staying in bed, he/she feels relaxed when he/she has a lie-in on Sundays.

When the meaning is "to enjoy", we can add an intensifier "really" to both sentences:
1. I really like to stay in bed late on Sundays.
2. I really like staying in bed late on Sundays.

Is my explanation correct?

Last edited:
All four of your sentences are grammatically correct and, for me, mean the same thing.

I agree with ems that all four sentences have basically the same meaning, but "really" in the second set intensifies the feeling.

With some of these verbs which can take both the gerund and the infinitive, the gerund tends to suggest real or experienced activities, while the infinitive refers to potential or possible activities. This difference is pretty small, and can often be used interchangeably as in your examples.

Sometimes, though, that difference is enough that they're not interchangeable.
My German cousin likes to visit the US. (He enjoys the option to visit the US any time he can)
My German cousin likes visiting the US. (He's currently visiting in the US, and enjoys it).

>>>My German cousin likes visiting the US. (He's currently visiting in the US, and enjoys it).<<<

I don't think there is enough evidence there that he us currently in the US.

I might say "I like playing hockey without being on the ice".

I agree with Mike. If you want to say that he is currently in the US and enjoying it, say "My German cousin is enjoying his visit to the US."

What about "I like to go to the dentist twice a year"? In grammar books they say it doesn't mean that the person really enjoys visiting the dentist, he just chooses to do it because he cares about his health.

That's fine. The grammar books are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back