[General] I like the way Kevin gives speeches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The other day I met a teacher of a local university in a speech club. When he was giving his speech, I was impressed because he spoke coherently. Everything was connected with each other under his topic. He was talking about how Buddhism, Confucianism and Christianity impact our lives. Everyone was asked to comment on each other after giving a speech, I said something like "I like the way Kevin give speeches. The logics behind his stories are coherent and intriguing".

I used "intriguing" because the stories draw my attention and made me want to know more about them.

Is my italic sentence natural?

The other day I met a teacher [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] from a local university [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at a [STRIKE]speech[/STRIKE] speaking club. When he was giving his speech, I was impressed because he spoke coherently. Everything he said was connected. [STRIKE]with each other under his topic.[/STRIKE] He was talking about how Buddhism, Confucianism and Christianity impact our lives. Later, everyone was asked to comment on each other's speeches. [STRIKE]after giving a speech,[/STRIKE] I said something like "I like the way Kevin gives speeches. The logics behind his stories are coherent and intriguing".

I used "intriguing" because the stories [STRIKE]draw[/STRIKE] drew/held my attention and made me want to know more about them.

Is my italic sentence natural?

Note my corrections above. The very last sentence doesn't work at all. First, "logic" is an uncountable noun so you can't use "logics are". Also, saying that a story is logically coherent doesn't really fit with it being intriguing. I think you should rewrite the last sentence completely.

How many of his speeches have you heard? If it's just this one, you shouldn't say "I like the way Kevin gives speeches" or refer to "his stories". You would say "I like the way Kevin wrote/gave his speech".

I've heard of some of his speeches because I went to the speech club three times and I met him twice. How about my new sentence:

I like the way Kevin wrote/gave his speech; it's intriguing and coherent.

(I want to say that his speech is intriguing and coehrent.)

I've heard [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] some of his other speeches because [STRIKE]I went[/STRIKE] I've been to the speech club three times and I've met him twice. How about my new sentence?

I like the way Kevin wrote/gave his speech; [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] it was intriguing and coherent.

(I want to say that his speech [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was intriguing and coherent.)

See above. It's grammatically correct. Now that I've looked at it all again, I realise that I actually wouldn't use "I like the way that" at all. The most natural thing to say would be "I liked Kevin's speech - it was coherent and intriguing".

See above. It's grammatically correct. Now that I've looked at it all again, I realise that I actually wouldn't use "I like the way that" at all. The most natural thing to say would be "I liked Kevin's speech - it was coherent and intriguing".

Much appreciated, emsr2d2. I was writing down all these corrected sentences and comments down today and now I have a new question.

I think the sentence "I liked Kevin's speech - it was coherent and intriguing" is okay when talking about the past. What if this happens regularly? I mean, I want to use the present tense because I've heard of two of his speeches and will hear more in the future. As a teacher (Interpretation and Translation) from a local university, he's very professional in giving speeches. Is my new sentence natural?

I like Kevin's speeches - they are coherent and always is food for thought.

I changed the adjective because I want to learn how to use appropriate new phrases. :-D

Much appreciated, emsr2d2. I [STRIKE]was writing[/STRIKE] have written down all these corrected sentences and comments [STRIKE]down[/STRIKE] today and now I have a new question.

I think the sentence "I liked Kevin's speech - it was coherent and intriguing" is okay when talking about the past. What if this happens regularly? I mean, I want to use the present tense because I've heard [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] two of his speeches and will hear more in the future. As a teacher of Interpretation and Translation [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] at a local university, he's very professional [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] when giving speeches. Is my new sentence natural?

I like Kevin's speeches - they are coherent and always [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] provide food for thought.

I changed the adjective because I want to learn how to use appropriate new phrases. :-D

See my corrections above. Note that "food for thought" isn't an adjective. It's a noun.

Perhaps:

I like his speeches. His delivery and the topics hold my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back