Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi there.
I was browsing the Internet and have found that ‘I like apple.’ is correct when you intend general ideas. Since I’ve learned that sentences like ‘I like apples.’ are correct and suitable to describe your preferences in daily life, I’m totally confused.

I didn’t pay much attention to native speakers’ talking, and I’m not sure when you guys use this kind of pattern. When and under what circumstances do you use this way of talking or writing? I’d really appreciate it if you give me detailed explanation about grammar and appropriate example sentences.

Say:

I like apple pie.

Or:

I like apple sauce.

Or:

I like apple crumb cake.

Or:

I like apples.

Use end punctuation at the end of a sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are what I’ve learned.
I don't know where the person who was a perfect scorer on the TOEIC got this information.
As a matter of fact, I sent him an e-mail and he (actually his co-worker or someone in charge) explained that you use the sentence ‘I like apple.’ when somebody asks ‘What fruit do you like’?
Is that true? I’d still say I like apples, though.

Last edited:
I’d still say I like apples, though.
So would I.

I use the uncountable form only if I am talking of the cooked variety when, usually, the individual apples become mixed together. Oddly enough, however, I would say "I like baked apple" even though the dessert is served as individual apples.

1) I like apple.
2) I like apples.

They are both correct but they have different meanings. The meaning that you have in your mind is expressed with sentence 2.

The use of apple as an uncountable noun (sentence 1) shows that the speaker is thinking of a substance rather than as individual items. This is an unusual way of thinking, but it could be appropriate in some situations. I don't think you need to worry about this right now. To say that you like the round, red fruity things, use sentence 2.

(By the way, I guarantee you he didn't get a perfect score on TOEIC.)

"What kind of pie do you like?"

"I like apple."

That's an appropriate use of the adjective "apple."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back