I knew/didn't know past simple or perfect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
1.I knew she stole my jacket.
2.I knew she'd stolen my jacket.

3.I didn't know he broke into your house.
4.I didn't know he'd broken into your house.

5.I was talking to him, and I didn't know he stole your phone.
6.I was talking to him, and I didn't know he'd stolen your phone.

these all happened in past. Is there any difference here between past simple and past perfect?
What is more natural in this context?

Last edited:
The batman learner, this is the fifth or sixth thread in which you have given us a number of sentences in the past simple and pas tperfect and asked if there is any difference.

You would do better to give us one sentence at a time, with full context, in which you are genuinely unsure which to use.

1. space here I knew she stole my jacket.
2. space here I knew she'd stolen my jacket.

3. space here I didn't know he broke into your house.
4. space here I didn't know he'd broken into your house.

5. space here I was talking to him, and I didn't know he stole your phone.
6. space here I was talking to him, and I didn't know he'd stolen your phone.

These all happened in the past. Is there any difference here between the past simple and the past perfect? What Which is more natural in this context?
Please note my corrections above.

I agree with 5jj - turning the past simple/past perfect into a collection of grammar exercises isn't going to work. Take a break. Next time you're writing or speaking English and you come across a sentence in which you're genuinely confused as to which one to use, make a note of it and then ask us. Remember to include the context (despite your question in this thread being "Which is more natural in this context?", you didn't actually give us any context at all).

Sorry for that,
Context: I was at party and later I realized my jacket was missing and I knew she stole my jacket/She had stolen my jacket.

Context: I saw him outside your house let him go because I didn't know he broke into your house/He had broken into your house.

Are these both correct and is there any difference?

Sorry for that,
Context: I was at party and later I realized my jacket was missing and I knew she stole my jacket/She had stolen my jacket.

Context: I saw him outside your house let him go because I didn't know he broke into your house/He had broken into your house.

Are these both correct and is there any difference?
Are these both real life situations in which you didn't know at the time which tense to use?

Reactions: 5jj
I said 'one sentence at a time'!

Who are 'he' and 'she'?

Are these both real life situations in which you didn't know at the time which tense to use?
Not really, I just want to know what should I use if i ever get into situation like that because we have the movie group where we often talk about movie and talk in past tenses

I said 'one sentence at a time'!

Who are 'he' and 'she'?
She was a friend of my friend at the party and I knew she stole/had stolen her jacket.
Ok just tell me about this sentence I was at party and later I realized my jacket was missing and I knew she stole my jacket/She had stolen my jacket.

In that one sentence, in the context you've described, you would say:

I was at a party once and, later, I realised my jacket was missing. I knew she'd stolen it!

Thanks and I know past perfect is correct here I want to know if I could use past simple here and would it still have a same meaning as Past perfect?

If you could use both of them, don't you think I would have said so? I told you that the past perfect is the appropriate tense for that sentence and that context.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back