[Grammar] I hope you’re having a good time ushering in 2018!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In Lee Hsien Loong's facebook page, he says:

A very Happy New Year to everyone! I hope you’re having a good time ushering in 2018! This year, we’ll also be preparing for Singapore Bicentennial celebrations in 2019, to mark the 200th anniversary of Stamford Raffles’ landing in Singapore. It is a good time to reflect on our history, how far we have come, and how far we have yet to go. ...

---------
1. Does it mean the following?

... I hope you’re having a good time's ushering in 2018! ...

2. Can I use another punctuation in the following?

It is a good time to reflect on our history: how far we have come, and how far we have yet to go.
It is a good time to reflect on our history - how far we have come, and how far we have yet to go.

In Lee Hsien Loong's facebook page, he says:

A very Happy New Year to everyone! I hope you’re having a good time ushering in 2018! This year, we’ll also be preparing for Singapore Bicentennial celebrations in 2019, to mark the 200th anniversary of Stamford Raffles’ landing in Singapore. It is a good time to reflect on our history, how far we have come, and how far we have yet to go. ...

---------
1. Does it mean the following?

... I hope you’re having a good time's ushering in 2018! ... No, that's not correct. Why do you think an apostrophe 's' is needed?

Bhai

No, that's not correct. Why do you think an apostrophe 's' is needed?

I thought it is like this:

I am looking forward to the truth's coming out.

I thought it is like this:

I am looking forward to the truth's coming out.
Now I think it is the following:

I hope you’re having a good time (in) ushering in 2018!

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]2. Can I use another punctuation in the following?

It is a good time to reflect on our history: how far we have come, and how far we have yet to go.
It is a good time to reflect on our history - how far we have come, and how far we have yet to go.[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]I need someone to help me. :-?

Yes, "in" or "with'' for the first.

For the second, I've seen the colon used in that kind of sentence, but you need to use an em dash instead of a hyphen in your second example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back