Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What does
this finds you well​
mean?

I assume that the context is as shown in your thread title, as opposed to the contextless short phrase in your actual question. In a letter, "I hope this finds you well" means "I hope that, when this letter reaches you, you are in good health".

I assume that the context is as shown in your thread title, as opposed to the contextless short phrase in your actual question. In a letter, "I hope this finds you well" means "I hope that, when this letter reaches you, you are in good health".

I thought it was a common phrase.I wanted to give you the context but I didn't know what to give because that phrase was written at the end in a private message(The phrase had no relevance with what the PM said) but with your explanation I understand that is just a common phrase like I hope every thing is fine,I hope you are at good health etc. which are added in letters.

You don't have to give the content when we ask for the context. If you had written "I received a private message and the person who sent it to me wrote at the end "I hope this finds you well". I don't know what that means. Can you help me?" then we would have had the context.

Good summary :up: - perhaps something like this could be added to Tdol's Guide to Writing a Good Post (or whatever it's called).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back