Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Should learners avoid the following forms? 'I haven't a book.' 'Have you a book?' I mean the negative statements and questions without 'do'.

Hello.

Should learners avoid the following forms? 'I haven't a book.' 'Have you a book?' I mean the negative statements and questions without 'do'.

I would say your examples are grammatically acceptable, but these examples are common 'I don't have a book', 'Do you have a book'? I would rather choose the definite article when talking about a specific book, and choose possessive determiner especially when the book is belonging to someone.

Last edited:
My grandfather (born in 1921) would have used "Have you a/the book?" and "I haven't a/the book" but they both sound very awkward and old-fashioned these days.

"Have you got a/the book?" would be the most natural in BrE, with "Do you have a/the book?" coming in a close second. "Yes/Yes, I have/Yes, I do" would be the most natural affirmative answers, and "No/No, I haven't/No, I don't" the most natural negative responses.

My grandfather (born in 1921) would have used "Have you a/the book?" and "I haven't a/the book" but they both sound very awkward and old-fashioned these days.

"Have you got a/the book?" would be the most natural in BrE, with "Do you have a/the book?" coming in a close second. "Yes/Yes, I have/Yes, I do" would be the most natural affirmative answers, and "No/No, I haven't/No, I don't" the most natural negative responses.
Do you mean 'No, I haven't' instead of 'No, I don't' or instead of the whole phrase 'No, I don't have a book' isn't old-fashioned. Right? Only when it's used in statements 'I haven't a book, computer, etc' it is old-fashioned. Am I right?

We rarely repeat unnecessary words in a response.

Q: Have you got the book?
A1: Yes.
A2: Yes, I have.
A3: Yes, I do. (More likely if the question were "Do you have the book?")
A4: Yes, I have [got] the book. (Very unlikely because of the repetition of "the book".)

We rarely repeat unnecessary words in a response.

Q: Have you got the book?
A1: Yes.
A2: Yes, I have.
A3: Yes, I do. (More likely if the question were "Do you have the book?")
A4: Yes, I have [got] the book. (Very unlikely because of the repetition of "the book".)

Thank you but could you please tell me if I said 'no, I haven't' in short negative answers like this one, the form 'haven't' is not considered old-fashioned, is it? Unlike the full sentence 'No, I haven't a book.'

No. There is nothing old-fashioned about "No, I haven't". It's only old-fashioned when followed by an article and a noun, as in "No, I haven't a book".

No. There is nothing old-fashioned about "No, I haven't". It's only old-fashioned when followed by an article and a noun, as in "No, I haven't a book".

I see. It's a short negative response to 'have you got a book?' (Not to 'do you have a book?').

"Have you got a/the book?" would be the most natural in BrE, with "Do you have a/the book?" coming in a close second. I think the more natural would be the reverse, i.e "do" in AmE. "Yes/Yes, I have/Yes, I do" (AmE "do")would be the most natural affirmative answers, and "No/No, I haven't/No, I don't" (AmE "don't")the most natural negative responses.
Y.

I see. It's a short negative response to 'Have you got a book?' (not to 'Do you have a book?').

It could be used for both, because both questions contain the word "have".

Have you got a book?
No, I haven't.

Do you have a book?
No, I haven't.

However, "No, I don't" is the more likely response to "Do you have a book?"

It could be used for both, because both questions contain the word "have".

Have you got a book?
No, I haven't.

Do you have a book?
No, I haven't.

However, "No, I don't" is the more likely response to "Do you have a book?"

I asked this question because you said in one of the previous posts 'A3: Yes, I do. (More likely if the question were "Do you have the book?"). I thought if 'do' in an answer is more likely when the question has 'do' then maybe 'I haven't' is also more likely when the question is 'have you got a...?'

I asked this question because you said in one of the previous posts 'A3: Yes, I do. (More likely if the question were "Do you have the book?"). I thought if 'do' in an answer is more likely when the question has 'do' then maybe 'I haven't' is also more likely when the question is 'Have you got a...?'

Yes, and my post #11 says that as well.

Have you got a book?
Most likely: Yes, I have.
Less likely: Yes, I do.

Do you have a book?
Most likely: Yes, I do.
Less likely: Yes, I have.

Yes, and my post #11 says that as well.

Have you got a book?
Most likely: Yes, I have.
Less likely: Yes, I do.

Do you have a book?
Most likely: Yes, I do.
Less likely: Yes, I have.

I hate to annoy but I could you please write the same most likely and unlikely negative forms:oops:?
I will try to write myself.

Have you got a book?
No, I haven't. Most likely.
No, I don't. Less likely.

Do you have a book?
No, I don't. Most likely.
No, I haven't. Less likely.

Last edited:
I hate to annoy you but [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] (in case it's not clear, "I" should not be there) could you please write the same most likely and unlikely negative forms? :oops: (Don't put an emoticon between a letter and a punctuation mark.)
I will try to write them myself.

Have you got a book?
No, I haven't. Most likely.
No, I don't. Less likely.

Do you have a book?
No, I don't. Most likely.
No, I haven't. Less likely.

Note my corrections above. You have chosen the right negative responses for most/less likely each time. I think you've got it!

The British use got more often than Americans do, and Americans use do more often than the British do. (See what I mean?)

So in American English, we would usually ask, "Do you have a book?"

And the answer would usually either be, "Yes, I do" or "No, I don't."

Just for info, the message of mine that I deleted was not Post #9. I felt that the deleted message was redundant and I thought it would be better to not post it.

Y.

The British use got more often than Americans do, and Americans use do more often than the British do. (See what I mean?)

So in American English, we would usually ask, "Do you have a book?"

And the answer would usually either be, "Yes, I do" or "No, I don't."

I was going to ask about 'have got' too. I read in Swan that got-forms of have are less often used when we are talking about repeated or habitual states.These are the book's examples. 'I have/I have got a headache.' The book says compare with 'I often have headaches.' But if I am not talking about repeated actions, if I am saying that I have a headache right now can I use 'got' in my sentence?

I'm far more used to "have got" than "have". I don't think I've ever said "I have a headache", only "I've got a headache". I would use the same construction for just about anything:

I've got a cat.
I've got a busy week coming up.
I've got a cold.
I've got the flu.
I've got to go.

In all of those, "I have" is perfectly possible but I wouldn't naturally use it. When I started teaching in Spain, I really had to force myself to use "have" instead of "have got" when talking to my beginner students. With intermediate and advanced students, I could use "have got" and then explain if necessary. I was very surprised to discover, when I started teaching an 8-year-old boy, that his school textbook gave "to have got" as the full verb. Underneath it, it said "to have" can also be used. I asked the boy about it and he confirmed that they were taught to conjugate "have got", not "have".

I'm far more used to "have got" than "have". I don't think I've ever said "I have a headache", only "I've got a headache". I would use the same construction for just about anything:

I've got a cat.
I've got a busy week coming up.
I've got a cold.
I've got the flu.
I've got to go.

In all of those, "I have" is perfectly possible but I wouldn't naturally use it. When I started teaching in Spain, I really had to force myself to use "have" instead of "have got" when talking to my beginner students. With intermediate and advanced students, I could use "have got" and then explain if necessary. I was very surprised to discover, when I started teaching an 8-year-old boy, that his school textbook gave "to have got" as the full verb. Underneath it, it said "to have" can also be used. I asked the boy about it and he confirmed that they were taught to conjugate "have got", not "have".
I read in Swan that got isn't used when we are talking about repeated actions but I don't quite understand their examples. Which sentences in #7 are not natural according to the book?
106754031_670289973833162_2028491906866779876_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you not work out which sentences refer to repeated/habitual actions in 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back