I have jogged twice a week for five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please tell me if my understanding is correct.
1) Jack has been jogging for twenty minutes and feels a little tired.
Jogging started twenty minutes ago and has continued up until now. Jogging lasts for twenty minutes without a break, and it is happening now..

2) Jack has been jogging to keep fit for five years.
Jogging happens repeatedly from five years ago up to the present, and it is happening now. Jogging cannot last for five years without a break. Nobody can keep jogging for five years without a break, so jogging here is a repetitive action, not a continuous action, like that in sentence 1.

3) Lisa: Do you jog?
Jack: Yes. I have jogged twice a week for five years.
Jogging happens regularly (twice a week) from five years ago up to the present, but it is not happening now. We can’t say “have been jogging” here because jogging is not happening now.

Last edited:
1) Jack has been jogging for twenty minutes and feels a little tired.
Jogging started twenty minutes ago and has continued up until now. Jogging lasts for twenty minutes without a break, and it is happening now.
Probably, but he could have started a little more than twenty minutes ago and stopped a minute or so ago.
2) Jack has been jogging to keep fit for five years.
Jogging happens repeatedly from five years ago up to the present, and it is happening now. Jogging cannot last for five years without a break. Nobody can keep jogging for five years without a break, so jogging here is a repetitive action, not a continuous action, like that in sentence 1.]
It is not necessarily happening at the moment of speaking.

3) Lisa: Do you jog?
Jack: Yes. I have jogged twice a week for five years.
Jogging happens regularly (twice a week) from five years ago up to the present, but it is not happening now. We can’t say “have been jogging” here because jogging is not happening now.
We could use the continuous form here.

Please tell me if my understanding is correct.
1. Jack has been jogging twice a week for five years.
We focus on the duration of five years here. Jack could be jogging at the moment of speaking or not.

2. Jack has jogged every two days for three months.
Jack could be jogging at the moment of speaking or not.

3. Present perfect continuous refers to something happening at the moment of speaking or just stopping not long before now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back