Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can the phrase "have got to do something", meaning "must do something", "have to do something", like in the example "I have got to go now", be used in tenses other than present simple and in questions? I had got to go. I have had got to go. Did you have got to go? The examples are mine.

Can the phrase "have got to do something", meaning "must do something", "have to do something", like in the example "I have got to go now", be used in tenses other than present simple and in questions? I had got to go. I have had got to go. Did you have got to go? The examples are mine.
No. We use "got to" only in the present tense and not in the interrogative.

I have got to go now.
Do you have to go?
Did you have to go?
I had to go.
She will have to go.

Bear in mind that "got" is optional in the present tense. It's perfectly OK to say "I have to go now".

... not in the interrogative.

It's pretty common in the interrogative:

Have you got to go already?
What more have I got to do?
When have we got to hand it in?

It's pretty common in the interrogative:

Have you got to go already?
What more have I got to do?
When have we got to hand it in?
Sorry! I failed entirely to make it clear that I was referring to the OP's attempt at the interrogative - "Did you have got to go?" If the question starts with "Do/Does/Did ...", then "got to" can't be used. Apologies for any confusion.

I'm fairly sure I did utter it in my youth.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back