I have difficult time grasping the meaning of "only" in the sense i mentioned below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I have difficult time grasping the meaning of "only" in the sense i mentioned below.

"You can use only to emphasize how appropriate a certain course of action or type of behaviour is". Examples: It's only fair to let her know that you intend to apply.She appeared to have changed considerably, which was only to be expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I have difficult time grasping the meaning of "only" in the sense i mentioned bel

The term "only fair" is used to express that an action or activity is, at a minimum, reasonable or sensible.

Re: I have difficult time grasping the meaning of "only" in the sense i mentioned bel

can you give an illuminating example?

Can you give an illuminating example?

What's wrong with the example in post #1?

I have noticed another example: It was only too true. What is the difference between example in post #1 and that? Is"only too" here just the same as "very"?

Last edited:

"You can use only to emphasize how appropriate a certain course of action or type of behaviour is". Examples: It's only fair to let her know that you intend to apply.She appeared to have changed considerably, which was only to be expected.
It's used in the sense of nothing but.

It's nothing but fair. It's fair and nothing else. It can only be described as fair. It's only fair.

I have noticed another example: "It was only too true." What is the difference between example in post #1 and that? Is"only too" here just the same as "very"?
No. The phrase means "Regretfully, it turned out to be true."

I have noticed another example: It was only too true. What is the difference between example in post #1 and that? Is"only too" here just the same as "very"?
It was nothing but very true. It was beyond true, and it was nothing else. I can only be described as truer than true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back