Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello there! I know that I'm grammatically wrong. But without a personal answer from a native speaker I seem not to grasp it... So, I'm talking about two days ago - the past weekend. Firstly, since it was not so long ago, and the memories of it are so fresh still, I wish I could call it "this weekend". But this seekend will be 5 days later, I do realize it, so yeah. Secondly, for the same reason (of memories still being fresh) I'd rather use present perfect for describing what I did (ok... in this case I've switched to past simple). Anyway, is it a bad mistake to say like this: "This is what I did last weekend. I've been to my grandma's. I've visited the city museum. I've..."

Last edited:
Hello there! I know that I'm grammatically wrong no full stop here but without an personal answer from a native speaker, I seem not to grasp it... I can't understand why.

So, I'm talking about two days ago - the past weekend. Firstly, since it was not so long ago, and the memories of it are so fresh still, I wish I could want to call it "this weekend". But However, this weekend will be 5 start in five days later. I do realize it, so yeah.

Secondly, for the same reason (of memories still being fresh) I'd rather use the present perfect for describing to describe what I did (ok... OK, in this case I've switched to the past simple). Anyway, is it a bad mistake to say like this: "This is what I did last weekend. I've been to my grandma's. I've visited the city museum. I've ..."?
Note my corrections above. As a learner, don't try to start sentences with "but".

You've practically answered your own question. If you start with "This is what I did ..." (past simple, which is the appropriate tense for the situation), you should continue with it. The use of the present perfect isn't appropriate if you're talking about a past event that has finished and has no relevance to the present. If the weekend in question wasn't over yet and someone asked you what you'd done so far, it would be appropriate.

Friend: What did you do last weekend?
You: I went to my grandma's, visited the city museum ...

Friend: What have you done so far this weekend?
You: I've been to my grandma's, visited the city museum ...

I wouldn't use the word "try" there. I would just don't do it.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back