[Grammar] I have been obsessed or I have been obsessing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omid_61

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,
I was reading a book the other day when I saw this sentence :
I have been obsessed with punctuality ever since.
I was wondering whether it is right or it should be : I have been obsessing with punctuality ever since ?

Regards,

It is correct. If you want to write "I have been obsessing over/about punctuality", you can.
You become obsessed with something. You obsess over/about something.

Thank you Raymott,
I would like to know more about the tens, I mean, it sounds passive,isn't it?" I've been obsessed with"

No. It's "I have been" (present perfect) and "obsessed" (adjective).

I would like to know more about the tense, I mean, it sounds passive, doesn't it?" I've been obsessed with"
No, but I can see why you might think so. For a passive construction, the agent is introduced with 'by'.
"I was possessed by a demon" (to use another -sessed word). This is passive. The active equivalent: "A demon possessed me".
But not, "I was obsessed by punctuation" ie. not "Punctuation obsessed me". It is you who are doing the obsessing, not the punctuation.
At least that's how I see it, though you will see "obsessed by" all over the net.

I got it, thank you so much emsr2d2

Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say Thank you. Simply click the Thank button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.

It saves everybody's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back