I have been ill a lot lately and I feel unwell, so I will not go to tomorrow concert.

Kolridg

Member Type
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please look at the next sentence below. Should I consider that the speaker is still ill at the moment of conversation? I would use "recently" instead of "lately" to avoid ambiguity, but here in this sentence goes "a lot" which probably means recurring action (he probably was getting healthy at some points, then got ill again, and so on), and therefore it implies "lately".

I have been ill a lot lately and I feel unwell, so I will not go to tomorrow concert.

I know that in this kind of sentence the context defines whether action is still ongoing or not, for example: I am in bed now, I have been sick all week. – If speaker is in bed, it is understood he is still ill. But how things stand in my example sentence, I can't tell how hard I try – he might feel unwell due to he is either still ill, or he might feel unwell solely due to consequences of the disease and it's gone by now. And even if we remove "I feel unwell", I'm afraid things will still remain ambiguous.

Last edited:
Please tell us the source and author of the quoted sentence.

I have been ill a lot lately
there is no way of knowing without more context/co-text whether the speaker is still ill.

I have been ill a lot lately and I still feel unwell.
I have been ill a lot lately and I feel unwell now.

Now the situation is clear.

I will not go to tomorrow concert.

...to tomorrow's concert.
... to the concert tomorrow.

Please look at the next sentence below.

I have been ill a lot lately and I still feel unwell, so I will not go to the concert tomorrow. concert.

Should I consider that the speaker is still ill at the moment of conversation speaking? I would use "recently" instead of "lately" to avoid ambiguity, but here in this sentence goes "a lot" which probably means a recurring action situation (he was probably was getting healthy at some points, then got ill again, and so on), and therefore it implies "lately".

I know that in this kind of sentence the context defines whether action a situation is still ongoing or not. For example no colon here "I am in bed now; I have been sick all week". No dash here If the speaker is in bed, it is understood he is still ill. But how things stand However, in my example sentence, I can't tell, no matter how hard I try, he might feel whether he feels unwell due to he is either because he is still ill, or he might feels unwell solely due to the consequences after-effects of the some disease and it's that's gone by now. And Even if we remove "I feel unwell", I'm afraid things will still remain ambiguous.
Note my changes above. As a learner, don't try to start sentences with "and" or "but". It can be done but you have to have a better grasp of the usage before you try it.

Being ill isn't an action; it's a situation.

As a standalone sentence, I would assume that the speaker feels ill in the same way they have felt unwell lately. If the illness had finished, I would expect something like "I was ill recently but I still don't feel 100% so I'm not going to the concert tomorrow".

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back