Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

Could you help me with this one? I cannot understand the 'orange' part - not in this context, that is.

A person is talking about different periods of her life and how much she enjoyed them or not:

Well, I didn’t like childhood, I was quite ugly and fairly fat. And I hated being a teenager. In the beginning of my career I had a job I didn’t like. I love to talk about the best times. My early thirties. I was self-confident and had no money worth.

What does she mean by saying she had no money worth *dot*?

It's a sentence from the dialogues to be used in an English language examination. I do not know where they are taken from. So this phrase IS meaningless. So I thought...

Suppose it were a transcript, could she have said 'money worries' instead of 'money worth'?

PS) All the rest is in good English, isn't it?

Is it a typo for "I had no money worries"?

All the rest is in good English, isn't it?
No, it isn't. Are you sure you transcribed it accurately? The punctuation is poor for a start. It should appear something like this:

Well, I didn’t like childhood. I was quite ugly and fairly fat. And I hated being a teenager. At the beginning of my career I had a job I didn’t like. I love to talk about the best times: my early thirties. I was self-confident but had no money worth mentioning.
The last word is my suggestion.

Last edited:
No, it isn't. Are you sure you transcribed it accurately? The punctuation is poor for a start.

I didn't. I presume someone else transcribed it.

Is punctuation the only issue?

Last edited:
No – I made some other corrections.

No – I made some other corrections.

I am not sure, but I think I read somewhere that Americans tend to say 'in the beginning' instead of 'at the beginning' more often... Is that so?
If that's true than this is the only correction other than punctuation that I see?

Last edited:
I am not sure, but I think I read somewhere that Americans tend to say 'in the beginning' instead of 'at the beginning' more often... Is that so?
If that's true than this is the only correction barring punctuation that I see?
In that sentence, we'd say at. In other sentences, we'd say in. In others, we'd say to begin with. It depends on the context.

In that sentence, we'd say at. In other sentences, we'd say in. In others, we'd say to begin with. It depends on the context.

Interesting... And how do you differentiate between 'in the beginning' and 'at the beginning' - as adverbial modifier of time, I mean?

Click here to read earlier threads on this topic – especially the last one which gives more links.

Last edited:
It's a sentence from the dialogues to be used in an English language examination.

I wouldn't recommend using it in an exam- it will give grounds for appeals.

I wouldn't recommend using it in an exam- it will give grounds for appeals.

Actually, I am not 100% sure it will be used in an exam.
So I surmised.

PS) Grounds for appeals one can always find - anywhere - if only one wishes so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back