Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Here is a part of the dialogue from Everyday English in Conversation: Communication

" - Just a minute, Dear! I'm looking at a new jewelry site. I wanna make sure I get the right gift for your birthday, don't I?"

It appears to be based on American English. Is the tense used for "I get the right gift" correct? I guess the past or present perfect tense is the right choice. Is the meaning of "get" there is kind of selecting something for the future purchase as the present. Thank you.

It appears to be based on American English.
It fits other most varieties too.
Is the tense used for "I get the right gift" correct?
Yes, it is. "I want to make sure (that) I get the ..."
I guess the past or present perfect tense is the right choice.
No.
Is the meaning of Does "get" there is kind of mean select ing something for the a future purchase? as the present.
I don't know whether "as the present" refers to the gift or to the tense. "Get" simply means "buy".

It fits other most varieties too.

Yes, it is. "I want to make sure (that) I get the ..."

No.

I don't know whether "as the present" refers to the gift or to the tense. "Get" simply means "buy".
Does it mean that the verb "get" in the context is used to refer to Present Indefinite. However the context suggests that the speaker is doing something at some specific point or is likely going to do something in the nearest future Why do not to use" I'm getting the gift" or" I am going to get the gift" instead?. Thank you.

Does it mean that the verb "get" in the that context is used to refer to in the present indefinite?
Yes. The present simple (indefinite) can be used to talk about future actions.
He is saying "I want to ensure that I buy the right gift for you.
However the context suggests that the speaker is doing something at some specific point or is likely going to do something in the nearest future. Why do not to use" I'm getting the gift" or" I am going to get the gift" instead?. Thank you.
The present simple is the most natural choice for that sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back