Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote the following sentence:

I fulfilled a childhood dream when I became the champion.

This was written by me. I wanted to say that I finally realized my dream of becoming the champion of something (sorry I don't remember), I wrote the sentence in 2012.

Is the "the" needed here?

Yes.

It must happen quite a bit if you don't remember what you were the champion of. 😊

You need something else for context. If you don't remember, make something up – as I'm going to:

I fulfilled a childhood dream when I became the champion of the school's javelin-catching competition.

As a boy, I loved eating caterpillars. I fulfilled a childhood dream when I became champion of the town, with a record of 36 in one minute.

I'm not going to volunteer for either of those.
😀

You can use 'champion', without 'the', if it's meant as a title, whether official or unofficial. Similar cases:

I want to be leader today.
She'll be made deputy within a year.
He was voted president for the third time.

Arsenal are going to be runners-up again this season.

In all of these cases, you're not referring to the thing itself, so you don't need a reference word (an article). Instead, you're really talking about the role or position or title that the thing itself is assigned.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back